PDA

View Full Version : Techie update

m 'n c
03-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Just a little techie update and reminder.

I've noticed that my ccleaner has not picking up all of my hidden cookies lately. I have the latest version but I think some of these websites I surf to must have some good "deep" cookies in there that its not picking up. Its picking up a lot just not everything.

So with that said I've been having to run adware and spyware once per day to get everything out. Adware has been picking up over 150 cookies each time I run it :eek: and spyware has been "fixing" roughly 30-40 issues every couple of days. I think these are related to general websurfing I do not SR offers as I haven't done any freebies in about 2 weeks. I think in the past I've recommended running those 2 programs something like once or twice a week on those but it is probably worth increasing that.

So if you are having crediting issues try doing all 3 of those programs before doing any offers and surveys and seeing if that helps at all.

Also consider downloading McAfee Site advisor (www.siteadvisor.com) which helps warn you if a site you are on will spam you or give you spyware. Tricia wrote about it in the Announcements section and it has been tested by the SR crew and determined to be safe.

Also as a general reminder don't forget that certain surveys and offers run by the same advertisers contain identical cookies. If you don't clear them between doing them you probably won't get credit as the old cookie will override the new cookie. Some examples are the Daily survey and the super member survey. OTX each day has to be cleared. My Insider Deal offers (disclosed as [MID]). Seems like this is becoming an increasing problem for some so please start clearing your cookies. (also as a general reminder please remember that IE is the recommended site for SR if you are on windows. We've been seeing an increase in firefox related problems lately because it does a great job at blocking cookies.)

Iteach
03-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the tips Catherine. I use Firefox on a Mac. Can't use IE as there are no new updates for Mac's and won't ever be. Any suggestions for those of us who use Macs? Thanks!

bartleby1
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the reminders and suggestions. I got a new computer a while back and *slap, slap* never downloaded adaware and spybot. I did put ccleaner on it and run it regularly. I just downloaded and ran adaware and spybot after running ccleaner and neither one picked up anything that ccleaner didn't already get rid of but it still made me feel better.

Catherine, are you sure you have the latest ccleaner? I'm surprised that it is leaving that much junk on your computer! I always felt it did a pretty thorough job. Of course, one can never be too safe! I'm just wondering why ccleaner got everything off mine but not yours. I do alot of heavy surfing and visit many questionable sites through some ptr programs so it really shocks me that adaware and spybot didn't find anything else lurking in the great depths of my computer!

m 'n c
03-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the tips Catherine. I use Firefox on a Mac. Can't use IE as there are no new updates for Mac's and won't ever be. Any suggestions for those of us who use Macs? Thanks!
So far there haven't been any reports of issues using firefox on a mac so i would just stick with it.

Thanks for the reminders and suggestions. I got a new computer a while back and *slap, slap* never downloaded adaware and spybot. I did put ccleaner on it and run it regularly. I just downloaded and ran adaware and spybot after running ccleaner and neither one picked up anything that ccleaner didn't already get rid of but it still made me feel better.

Catherine, are you sure you have the latest ccleaner? I'm surprised that it is leaving that much junk on your computer! I always felt it did a pretty thorough job. Of course, one can never be too safe! I'm just wondering why ccleaner got everything off mine but not yours. I do alot of heavy surfing and visit many questionable sites through some ptr programs so it really shocks me that adaware and spybot didn't find anything else lurking in the great depths of my computer!

Per CCleaner's site I'm using the latest version so I don't know what the deal is. Luckily the combo of all 3 programs are doing the trick in keeping me clean and crediting.

lanny76
03-17-2008, 05:17 PM
This update and the talk on another thread about 'deep' cookies got me to thinking and searching. I am not having much luck with things crediting, despite regularly running the latest version of CCleaner - and I am sure it is the latest, because there isn't any newer one listed since I downloaded this one. I know I have adware/spyware programs, but I haven't actively run any of these - I guess I thought they were doing their work in the background?! Maybe I have that mixed up with the antivirus which is doing its work in the background.
Anyway, I looked in the CCLeaner program I have, where you can choose which cookies to include/exclude - and the funny thing is, MID is not even on the list at all!! You can move the ones you want to keep from one list 'to exclude' into the 'to include list'. But no MID anywhere. It sort of looks like it isn't being cleaned off of my computer at all??!:confused:
And I checked my internet files on my computer, too. I'm sort of confused with this - there are a lot of columns. The ones I looked at especially are the ones that say, last modified, last accessed, last checked. With the last 2 columns, it gives today's date for the activity. But under last modified, there are lots of different dates. There isn't much variety in my internet files - mainly a lot of things that have to do with sunshine reward, yahoo.com, sites that I have in my ccleaner as ones to save. However, there are a lot of brandarama and MID things in there, some with dates for 'last modified' going back to 2006 or 2005 - when I had nothing to do with either of these sites! I am somewhat confused with that. But I wonder if the presence of these particular sites in my temp files is why they are not crediting. I am not sure how to get rid of them, or if they are actually something that those sites can see on my computer, so to speak, when I do an offer?
I know this is an involved, deep sort of question, but is there anyone, more of a techie than me!, who can help me out on this - Catherine, maybe?!

m 'n c
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Well I don't think you are going to specifically see cookies that correlate to specific offers. Some you will like you will find a SR cookie but as far as offers it just varies.

I would suggest updating all software you have and running it yourself (the free versions don't run in the background except for antivirus). Do adaware with the Full Scan not smart scan. Also run spybot.

Maybe cglaura can come in here too and give advice.

Hedy
03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Cate-I'm running a full scan using Ad aware 2007, and it's taking hours. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

m 'n c
03-21-2008, 05:37 PM
if you haven't run it in a while I guess it could take a while. Mine normally take 20ish minutes. Is your computer going to "sleep" while you are doing it? I know I can't leave and let spybot run on its own because if the computer goes to sleep then it will "sleep" as well.

Hedy
03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
if you haven't run it in a while I guess it could take a while. Mine normally take 20ish minutes. Is your computer going to "sleep" while you are doing it? I know I can't leave and let spybot run on its own because if the computer goes to sleep then it will "sleep" as well.

Might be it. I just ran it the other day, so it shouldn't be that bad.