PDA

View Full Version : Giant Tomato Tree from Gardeners' Choice

SunshineGirl
03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't know if I can embed this video here, but it is awesome! I just added a new merchant, Gardeners' Choice (http://www.sunshinerewards.com/leads_sales.php?aid=635). They have the Giant Tomato Tree that some of you were talking about. I had never seen the commercial before, but now that I have--I want one too! I'll try to embed it here. If not, I'll just put in the link. But I love it so much that I am running a special for you this week--14% back on purchases at Gardeners' Choice!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TatF_ZrqBQI

Blessing and Miracle
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Oh my gosh,

My girls would OD on tomatoes! LOL. The twins eat them like they're candy! Especially the plum tomatoes. I've got to order them one of those. You know how much money I will save not buying them! :)

sammielynn
04-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I ordered the tomato trees and they got here today, but they sort of look dead. Do you think that is normal?

MdCaterer
04-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Tricia or Cindy are the email links working now? Because I just sent Cindy and email on this very subject.

SunshineGirl
04-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I just placed a test order of the tomatoes and strawberries and will report back. :)

Blessing and Miracle
04-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I've yet to receive my order.:(

sammielynn
04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
It ordered mine 4/1 and just got it yesterday, and to boot the order was incomplete. The other stuff should be here in a week. And I still have not gotten credit. So those tomato trees better grow.

Blessing and Miracle
04-23-2008, 01:54 PM
It ordered mine 4/1 and just got it yesterday, and to boot the order was incomplete. The other stuff should be here in a week. And I still have not gotten credit. So those tomato trees better grow.

Hmm, I'm not sure when I ordered mine. I'm gonna have to check. I did receive my credit, though, right away!

I'm sorry!:(

SunshineGirl
04-23-2008, 02:42 PM

I'm thinking that I saw a credit come through without a userid. Definitely file a trouble ticket because it is likely it was yours.

sammielynn
04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Planted mine last night and watered them twice about three hours apart. They have lifted their little heads up some today and look much better.

I will file a TT, thanks. That is two shopping orders where that has happened.

Blessing and Miracle
04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Received mine today, but not impressed at all. I think they need a better shipping method. Half of my leaves had fallen off and those remaining are brownish and wilted. For some reason, I expected them to look how they were pictured. :( I'm gonna have to hurry and stick them into pots.

Hoping they grow!

sammielynn
04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Give the poor things a drink and they will look better in the morning. It isamazing how much better they will look in 24 hours. My bioys always laugh when I plant something because they know it doesn't have much of a chance. But they do look better today.

Blessing and Miracle
04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Give the poor things a drink and they will look better in the morning. It isamazing how much better they will look in 24 hours. My bioys always laugh when I plant something because they know it doesn't have much of a chance. But they do look better today.

Good!:) I'm going to try to plant them by tomorrow.

amarazas
04-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I just received my Tomato & Strawberry hanging basket.. The tomato plants do not look bad, I just wasn't ready to plant today. I'm going to put them into pots until they get a little stronger.

As for the strawberry plant, there isn't any directions with it, so I'm not sure what I should do with them. :confused: They are in a plastic bag, with a couple of leaves, but they are tangled.... Does anyone how I should plant them?

Anna
05-29-2008, 04:16 AM
I just placed a test order of the tomatoes and strawberries and will report back. :)

I placed a rather large order earlier this month for several different plants...tomatoes, the tomato-potato graft, zuchinni, onions and the hanging strawberry baskets....I received my order yesterday and was very disappointed in my items. All of the plants were wrapped in plastic to where they could not even get air. They were limp, yellowed, and nearly dead. This is the worst shape I have ever had plants come in. :(

I had spent about $100 and do not even know if these will survive. The "hanging strawberry baskets" were just dried roots to be planted. It will be years before they bear fruit if they even live. I was trying to get a jump start on my gardening. So much for that idea.:angel:

Anyone else have issues with this company and their plants? I sent them an email about the shape of my plants. Guess I will see if they plan to make good on their products.:(

Anna
05-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Received mine today, but not impressed at all. I think they need a better shipping method. Half of my leaves had fallen off and those remaining are brownish and wilted. For some reason, I expected them to look how they were pictured. :( I'm gonna have to hurry and stick them into pots.

Hoping they grow!

I totally agree with you. I will definitely not be ordering from this company again. :computer:

amarazas
05-29-2008, 06:35 AM
The tomato plants are getting stronger, I didn't plant them outside at first because they were not strong enough to make, plus it was a very cool May, I don't think they would have survived. My plan is to plant them outside this weekend. I am weathering them this week. My Strawberry plants took about 2 days and then they started growing and getting bigger. I have a couple of flowers on the plants. I'll take pictures and upload them later today.

Anna ~ Sorry to hear about your plants, I hope they rebound... I remember reading they have a guarantee on the plants if they do not survive. I'd look into it if you don't think they will survive.

Good Luck!

aknight373
05-29-2008, 06:58 AM
i sent the tomato plant and strawberry plant to my mother in law and she said she got confussed on the strawberry plant also :(

SunshineGirl
05-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Mine started off really small but about what I expected for the price. I planted them outside about 10 days ago and have been watching them. So far, so good. I don't think that DD planted all of the strawberries deep enough in the pots, so I am crossing my fingers on those. But the ones I planted in the ground actually seem to be doing okay.

daninyc
06-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I planted my trees about 3 weeks ago, maybe a bit longer. I put them in BIG pots outside and they have grown quite a bit. They are definitely stronger and have a few more leaves. They're doing much better than my basil! I already killed one of those plants :rotfl:

Anna
06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I ordered the tomato trees and they got here today, but they sort of look dead. Do you think that is normal?

Did they survive? My order didn't survive the shipment:(...fortunately, they credited my cc for the damaged plants though.:clap:

The tomato plants are getting stronger, I didn't plant them outside at first because they were not strong enough to make, plus it was a very cool May, I don't think they would have survived. My plan is to plant them outside this weekend. I am weathering them this week. My Strawberry plants took about 2 days and then they started growing and getting bigger. I have a couple of flowers on the plants. I'll take pictures and upload them later today.

Anna ~ Sorry to hear about your plants, I hope they rebound... I remember reading they have a guarantee on the plants if they do not survive. I'd look into it if you don't think they will survive.

Good Luck!

My strawberry plants have sprouted with a couple of leaves, but nothing since then. :( I even used the Miracle Grow Potting Soil. At least they made good on my other plants that didn't survive.

sammielynn
06-20-2008, 08:44 PM
One of mine is doing great. It is over 3 feet tall! I may have tomatoes after all. The other one did not make it.

Blessing and Miracle
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
I have leaves on my tomato, green and red bell peppers, but that's it. I planted mine back in April (?). I'm hoping that one day they will produce something. I didn't even bother with the strawberry plant. :(

Anna
06-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear your luck was nearly as bad as mine...call them because they will give you credit for what did not make it thankfully!:cooldance:

amarazas
07-24-2008, 08:01 AM
My tomato plants were getting really big! We took a picture two nights ago to post up here. (I'll get them up when photobucket is back up they are down for maintence)
They are huge... but now they are down on the ground :cry: We had strong storms last night, and when I got home DH told me that I'll need to stand the tomatoes back up in the morning:eek:

This morning I went out to check on them, and I can't stand them up until I get something else to hold them up. The little tomato cages aren't going to work. So this morning I'm heading out to get some more supports. There are some branches that broke:(, but hopefully not too many more.

How is everyone else's tomatoes doing?

SunshineGirl
07-24-2008, 08:09 AM
My tomatoes are doing fabulous!! They are growing tall and have little blooms on them. But I definitely need to stake them ASAP.

sammielynn
07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Mine is 6 foot tall! It has out grown it's cage, has bunches of blooms but not one tomato:( The blooms are just falling off.

amarazas
07-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Here the picture of the tomatoes when they were up :)...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/gumbysgal/100_4215-1.jpg

This is how tall they are in comparison to the kids

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/gumbysgal/100_4213.jpg

amarazas
07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
My strawberry hanging basket has been doing good. We've had about three strawberries... hopefully more will be coming in.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/gumbysgal/100_4216-1.jpg

sammielynn
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Your tomatoes look good. Whis I had some tomatoes on my:o

Sunni
07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Those plants look great!

amarazas
07-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks!!!.. Right now they aren't looking too hot. I should have taken a picture of them down... but this is what they look like now with my steaks in now... I only lost about four branches... and only one had three tomatoes on it. I found more tomatoes than I thought I had... so hopefully they will bounce back!

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/gumbysgal/100_4217.jpg

I haven't a clue if it will keep them up, but at least they have some more support!

If you have one of these tomato plants... Give them more support than the little cages or yours might blow over like mine did.

Hopefully you'll be getting some tomatoes in soon! I was surprised how fast they started coming out when they did!

sammielynn
07-24-2008, 05:21 PM
The cage mine is in is about 4 feet tall. And it is way over that now. I went out and gave it a very good looking over and found one tiny tomato, about the size of your pinky finger tip. Maybe it will keep growing.

amarazas
07-25-2008, 06:53 AM
A friend of mine who used to be a farmer told me with the tomato plants I Should give them fertilizer... miracle grow would work, but only do it once a week. The other thing you should put down is lime. BUT the only lime I could find was a 40lb bag. :eek: I told them I didn't need that much! So I got some specific tomato food.

I ran out of miracle grow about two weeks ago, but they've been doing fine. So maybe giving them a little miracle grow would help. You don't want to do it everyday because it gives it would be too much for the plant. Once a week is good.

Good luck, and I hope you get some more tomatoes on the "tree"! :sunshine2:

h2odancer
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I didn't get these kind of tomato plants, but my tomatoes last year were tall. I got myself a 6ft plastic lattice at Lowe's and used string wrapped around the plants and tied to the lattice. This might be what you all need for your "trees." :)

Anna
07-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Mine is 6 foot tall! It has out grown it's cage, has bunches of blooms but not one tomato:( The blooms are just falling off.

Check the problems with tomatoes....there is a problem called blossom end rot or something like that...I checked with our local garden center because mine had a fungus I had to take care of on our plants where the lower leaves got yellow spots on them.

Anna
07-25-2008, 10:24 PM
My strawberry hanging basket has been doing good. We've had about three strawberries... hopefully more will be coming in.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/gumbysgal/100_4216-1.jpg

wow...yours looks great...mine has grown very little even with miracle grow potting soil!