PDA

View Full Version : Could I / Should I pull this off?

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 12:08 PM
My daughter will turn 13 the end of August. I would like to make a big deal of it for her because it's a special birthday, and school won't have started yet (one of the few times this happens). I first thought about renting a beach house for the weekend, and letting her bring a few friends. A few turned into 9 friends, and a beach house for that many (9 kids plus 4 of us) is over $1000 for a weekend. Plus, I'm not comfortable taking that many kids to the beach, I'm just not sure I could chaperone that many the way that I would want to. So, I talked to DD and told her maybe we'd just have the friends over for a little party, and the two of us would do a mom and me weekend. She loved the idea.

I've priced a few ideas (NYC, a spa resort in Phoenix, and of course, WDW). Believe it or not, WDW is the cheapest (using SR earnings, of course). Here's my proposed itinerary /budget:

Airfare: $400
Hotel: (2 nights at Pop Century) $140 (I can book it on expedia using a $50 coup I have there!)
Friday evening: dinner at DTD ($60) and shopping ($50)
Saturday: Blizzard Beach or Typhoon: $75, lunch at BB, $50
Saturday eve: hang at resort, eat dinner there at food court: $40
Sunday: DTD DisneyQuest: $75 plus lunch there $40

Total: $930
minus $50 Disney Dollars left from last trip
equals $880
minus $200 (amount I feel I can earn here on SR by Aug, including current balance)
equals $680 out of pocket for weekend

My first question, is do you think my budget is doable? Second, will we regret being there and not going to the parks? It's such a short trip, in Friday, out Sunday, and I thought the waterpark would be (a) much cheaper and (b) cooler, it is August, and (c) we've never been to a WDW water park.

My other problem is I'm sure my son will be jealous. But, he has a football game that weekend (which I hate to miss) so he can't go anyway. He's huge into football. If we'd have done the beach house, he and dh could have driven home for the game and come back. I told him dd and I were doing a mom and me weekend and I'd do one with him for his 13th bday if he wants. He may prefer a dad and me weekend, honestly, and that would be fine with me.

Any thoughts? If I book the hotel on expedia I have to do so by Apr. 30, so I have a little time to think about this.

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Is the hotel on expedia cheaper than going through Disney? Is the $140 for 2 nights or per night?

Just my thoughts... I did something similar to this a few years ago with my ex. I was visiting some friends in Jacksonville and I managed to talk them into driving to Orlando for 2 days. We opted for DisneyQuest and Pleasure Island and I was so disappointed afterwards that I hadn't spent that money and gone to MK for a day because that is what the two tickets equalled. DisneyQuest is fun for a few hours but then it gets old. But it sounds like you won't be there for a full day anyways so it should be ok.

But she is 13 and if she is into waterparks I would so do that. I'm not a waterpark/water person in general so its not something I've ever done so I can't recommend or not recommend that one.

Not sure where you looked in Phoenix but I went last year with work and stayed at a really nice place that wasn't too expensive and it had an onsite spa and waterpark. I think they averaged $150 a night for the room. I enjoyed the mountains and the fresh air a lot while there. It use to be called the South Pointe Mountain Resort but recently had a name change. You should be able to google that name and still find it.

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will check Disney, but on expedia the Pop is $82 per night, plus taxes. After my $50 coupon was deducted I'm getting 2 nights for $139 and change. So that averages $70 per night, and I thought that was good?

She is into waterparks, so I think she'd love it. And, we've never done DisneyQuest, either. So this would be two new things.

I checked a Pointe resort in AZ, I'd been there about 10 years ago. The rooms are great - like $89 per night! But when I add the flight, a rental car, our spa services, eating all our meals, and a shopping trip, I was over $1000.
Plus, I think I really want to go to Orlando. The thing is, if we went to AZ, my son wouldn't be jealous. Not that huge of a factor, really, but somewhat.

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Ok I wasn't sure if that $140 was 2 nights or 1. I think 2 nights is a pretty good deal.

I know SWA flies into Phoenix but I'm not sure where you are coming in from so it might not work. Its a pretty small airport for such a big city or at least that was my impression. I believe that that hotel has shuttles that could get you to and from the airport and they have a shuttle to the outlet mall right across the street and 7 onsite restaurants so you might not really need the rental car. But enough about that. It might be more of a you and hubby trip than a mommy and me trip.

If she's into waterparks and Orlando I'd go there. Sounds like a great trip!

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm in Houston, so SWA would work. The hotel shuttle thing makes PHX more interesting. The resort you stayed at, do you remember what mall it was near? We shopped at Arizona Mills and I remember it had a Rainforst Cafe. I remember the craziest details!

Hedy
04-08-2008, 12:58 PM
What about Aquatica rather than a WDW waterpark? It might help the so near but so far sensation.

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm in Houston, so SWA would work. The hotel shuttle thing makes PHX more interesting. The resort you stayed at, do you remember what mall it was near? We shopped at Arizona Mills and I remember it had a Rainforst Cafe. I remember the craziest details!

Yeah I think that was the one. I didn't get to go the the mall because they kept letting us out so late each day and I was on a budget but I really wanted to go.

How did I not know you were here in Houston! We're neighbors. :sunshine:

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh let me pull up some old emails and see if I have anything about the place or what's nearby for you.

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Oh let me pull up some old emails and see if I have anything about the place or what's nearby for you.

Thanks, that's very sweet!

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
hmm I don't have much info left. Here is the new website.

http://www.arizonagrandresort.com/phoenix-luxury-hotels.php

Since its under new mgt it might have gone up since last summer but I remember seeing adverts for it and it was ~$150 then per night.

fourfoxesinpa
04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
My daughter will turn 13 the end of August. I would like to make a big deal of it for her because it's a special birthday, and school won't have started yet (one of the few times this happens). I first thought about renting a beach house for the weekend, and letting her bring a few friends. A few turned into 9 friends, and a beach house for that many (9 kids plus 4 of us) is over $1000 for a weekend. Plus, I'm not comfortable taking that many kids to the beach, I'm just not sure I could chaperone that many the way that I would want to. So, I talked to DD and told her maybe we'd just have the friends over for a little party, and the two of us would do a mom and me weekend. She loved the idea.

I've priced a few ideas (NYC, a spa resort in Phoenix, and of course, WDW). Believe it or not, WDW is the cheapest (using SR earnings, of course). Here's my proposed itinerary /budget:

Airfare: $400
Hotel: (2 nights at Pop Century) $140 (I can book it on expedia using a $50 coup I have there!)
Friday evening: dinner at DTD ($60) and shopping ($50)
Saturday: Blizzard Beach or Typhoon: $75, lunch at BB, $50
Saturday eve: hang at resort, eat dinner there at food court: $40
Sunday: DTD DisneyQuest: $75 plus lunch there $40

Total: $930
minus $50 Disney Dollars left from last trip
equals $880
minus $200 (amount I feel I can earn here on SR by Aug, including current balance)
equals $680 out of pocket for weekend

My first question, is do you think my budget is doable? Second, will we regret being there and not going to the parks? It's such a short trip, in Friday, out Sunday, and I thought the waterpark would be (a) much cheaper and (b) cooler, it is August, and (c) we've never been to a WDW water park.

My other problem is I'm sure my son will be jealous. But, he has a football game that weekend (which I hate to miss) so he can't go anyway. He's huge into football. If we'd have done the beach house, he and dh could have driven home for the game and come back. I told him dd and I were doing a mom and me weekend and I'd do one with him for his 13th bday if he wants. He may prefer a dad and me weekend, honestly, and that would be fine with me.

Any thoughts? If I book the hotel on expedia I have to do so by Apr. 30, so I have a little time to think about this.

I totally agree with you - 10 teenagers away from home is a big responsibility. Taking a trip with Mom is a great idea - the older she gets, the harder it will be to get her to want to go away with just the two of you. She probably won't want to spend her 16th or 21st birthdays with you. :( No offense to you, of course. Just a teen thing.

Check out the Top 20 deals at www.travelzoo.com. There are a ton of great deals there. Just me, but I would find it hard to spend close to $1K to go to Disney Quest and the water park. I'd want to be in one of those parks. Disney Quest is entertaining but not that great for me to go to MCO just for that. I'd rather swim with the dolphins at SeaWorld and skip the waterpark and Disney Quest. OR, dare I suggest it...there is an online deal right now for 1 week's worth of unlimited admission for $79.99 to Universal. It's not Disney, admittedly, but still, a great time.

As far as Phoenix goes, I just booked a week for us at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort and Spa for this summer. http://www.jwdesertridgeresort.com/ Not sure if this is the one you or Cate was talking about. It has a spa and a lazy river. It can be pricey, but there is a Marriott Vacation Club property (Marriott Canyon Villas) right next door that is less expensive and you can use all the facilities at the JW.

Whatever you decide, it will be a great bonding weekend for you. Enjoy time with your young lady.

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
"Just me, but I would find it hard to spend close to $1K to go to Disney Quest and the water park. I'd want to be in one of those parks"

When you put it that way... We could always forget waterpark and Disney Quest and go to MK. Then, Sunday, with whatever time we had to kill we could go to a movie or something...

Another idea my dd mentioned awhile back was Mall of America. She would like to go there. Has anyone been? That would be a cooler place to go in August than FL! Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions!

fourfoxesinpa
04-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Here's a crazy thought...would it be cheaper to go to Disneyland for the weekend?

A bunch of SRers are going to the MOA this summer and I think MagicalJen lives near there? Ooooh...a weekend "Back to School" shopping trip with Mom to the biggest mall in the country. Now, that sounds like a blast!

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Here's a crazy thought...would it be cheaper to go to Disneyland for the weekend?

A bunch of SRers are going to the MOA this summer and I think MagicalJen lives near there? Ooooh...a weekend "Back to School" shopping trip with Mom to the biggest mall in the country. Now, that sounds like a blast!

Yeah, I'm looking at the MOA website now. It looks fun!

fourfoxesinpa
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
And your son wouldn't feel so badly! ;)

Blessing and Miracle
04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I just wanna say, I think you planning a special trip like this for your daughter is awesome!!! I wish I would have thought about it for my oldest DD when she turned 18. I will definitely keep this in mind for when she turns 21 in a couple of years, or even next year!! Great idea!

Truthfully, it made me cry. I know that tomorrow isn't promised to anyone, but less face it, I do have cancer and it could progress at anytime, or I could get an infection and it could just wipe me completely out. I don't sit around thinking about dying and leaving my family, but I am human. I try to do as much as I possibly can with them now! We are all about creating memories and living each day as if it were my last! Although, our older children have plenty of memories, but my 4 year old twins..........I just really try to make special moments with them even more. And, I pray daily that I'm still here to see milestones in their lives as well!

No matter what the cost, enjoy that special time with your DD. It's priceless!

Okay, I didn't mean to go there. Sorry!

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I just wanna say, I think you planning a special trip like this for your daughter is awesome!!! I wish I would have thought about it for my oldest DD when she turned 18. I will definitely keep this in mind for when she turns 21 in a couple of years, or even next year!! Great idea!

Truthfully, it made me cry. I know that tomorrow isn't promised to anyone, but less face it, I do have cancer and it could progress at anytime, or I could get an infection and it could just wipe me completely out. I don't sit around thinking about dying and leaving my family, but I am human. I try to do as much as I possibly can with them now! We are all about creating memories and living each day as if it were my last! Although, our older children have plenty of memories, but my 4 year old twins..........I just really try to make special moments with them even more. And, I pray daily that I'm still here to see milestones in their lives as well!

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

fourfoxesinpa
04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Truthfully, it made me cry.

:hugs:Lisa:hugs:

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 04:22 PM

My mom took me on a Mother/Daughter trip right before my senior year in college. I had finally made straight a's for the first time in my life and she always said she'd take me where ever I wanted to go if I did that (within the US of course). So I picked San Diego and we went for a Wed-Sun and had a blast. I think you should do something like that with each of your girls.

:hugs:

Blessing and Miracle
04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
My mom took me on a Mother/Daughter trip right before my senior year in college. I had finally made straight a's for the first time in my life and she always said she'd take me where ever I wanted to go if I did that (within the US of course). So I picked San Diego and we went for a Wed-Sun and had a blast. I think you should do something like that with each of your girls.

:hugs:

That was wonderful! I use to give each of my children a "this is your day" day that included just the two of us. Now it's kinda hard to do because of my health, but I'm definitely gonna plan a triip for me and DD19, hopefully for her next birthday! When Blessing and Miracle gets a little older, I'll do one with them. But for now, I do plan on the four of us having a spa day really soon!

You Houstonians recommend any place special?

Again, I love the idea!

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
That was wonderful! I use to give each of my children a "this is your day" day that included just the two of us. Now it's kinda hard to do because of my health, but I'm definitely gonna plan a triip for me and DD19, hopefully for her next birthday! When Blessing and Miracle gets a little older, I'll do one with them. But for now, I do plan on the four of us having a spa day really soon!

You Houstonians recommend any place special?

Again, I love the idea!

OMG you have to go to Isle Pedi Spa. Its off of Kirby in Rice Village. They do the most fabulous pedicures. They have a website that has the "menu" so you can see the prices ($45-60) and the types they do. I took my mom last year for mother's day. She loved it. I would take DD19 there in a heartbeat for a mom and me thing (probably do the two little ones something else and cheaper).

ligrumpygirl
04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Back to OP...GO TO DISNEY!! I did it with my DD6 last summer and it was the best time we have ever had! The alone time was priceless!!!!!

If you have any questions...please ask!

LyndaM
04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Back to OP...GO TO DISNEY!! I did it with my DD6 last summer and it was the best time we have ever had! The alone time was priceless!!!!!

If you have any questions...please ask!

How long did you get to go? What did you do (which parks)? Would you splurge on a day in a park, or split and go to a waterpark and do other disney-ish things?

I'm still very undecided, and appreciate any advice!

ligrumpygirl
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
We went for 3 days I believe. We have APs but only did MGM for a few hours to see HSM. We really went to see the Pirate Princess Party. We also had some nice relaxing pool time.

If you want to go to a water park and have never been, then I would do that. Then you can walk around DTD at night or maybe the Boardwalk. It's all free and FUN!

Pooh's Pal
04-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Have you considered the Free Dining at Disney coming up....you have to book by the 22nd of June...and the dates are 24th of August through September.

Played with the Disney site tonight myself....here's what I got.
POP 8/29 and 8/30 No tickets, No dining-$212.oo plus tax

POP same nites with a ONE day base ticket for both of you...$338.86 plus tax, still not bad with a ticket to A park.

But if you could you get away for one more night & make it a Disney package?
POP 3 nites..8/29, 8/30 and 8/31 with a ONE day base ticket is $431.52 plus tax which comes to $498.47

Now, with the Dining added to this package 3 nts/4days comes to 804.30 with a ONE day base ticket, no hopping is $659.46 plus tax which comes to $726.41
with the free dining I think it would be back to the 3night stay with a one day park ticket...a 294.00 savings....FREE FOOD!
and of course staying at any Disney resort you would get to take the Magical Express..free too!
I know you mentioned Expedia....wonder if you'll be able to book a package through them...or maybe you could use your coupon you have to book your flights from them.

Where are you flying from?

just a thought.

m 'n c
04-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Good points! I'd definitely consider the free dining idea.

LyndaM
04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm sooooooo excited :cooldance:

I decided to wait til Labor Day Weekend to do the mom and me trip, even though her birthday is Aug. 18 so that we could have the three day weekend and FREE DINING at Disney!

I am pumped! I hadn't even considered the free dining due to school, but I was able to get us a room at the POP, 1 day park ticket (I'm still going to do a water park the other day) and of course free dining.

My WDW package was $431.52. I paid $200 today, to book, so only owe $231.52. So, I just need airfare and the waterpark tics and I'm all set!

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas and suggestions. She will be so excited when I spring this on her!

Now I have to figure out how to deal with my son, who will no doubt be jealous even though I'll assure him his time is coming...

m 'n c
04-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Oooh you better get your ADRs in. Some restaurants are already booking up.

LyndaM
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes, I need to work on that today!:cooldance:

m 'n c
04-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Congrats by the way! Yall are going to have a blast and POP is awesome!

ligrumpygirl
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
CONGRATS! You will have so much fun!

Blessing and Miracle
04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I think you made a wonderful choice! Mommy and me time, plus Disney!! That's a winning combination! I know you guys will have a blast. Be sure to take plenty of pictures and then maybe the two of you can create a scrapbook together, creating even more memories!