PDA

View Full Version : Missing WDW......BADLY!

linanglab
04-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I know I have mentioned it on another thread somewhere, and in chat, but I needed to vent again....

I am missing WDW SOOOO bad. I rewatched Samantha Brown's special from last night, and I am so sad that we are not going back until next July. We only go every other year, so it is not a shock to me. But i am missing it more now than ever.....I almost want to cry about it. Silly, huh?

Just had to express my sadness to some of you who may understand.....thanks for listening.....

wilsonfamily4
04-12-2008, 05:47 PM
we go every two years and we are now down to 9 months. It seems to take FOREVER!!!! I jsut want it to be here. So I understand. I am so bummed because I missed Samanthas special last night!!!! Was it good?

linanglab
04-12-2008, 05:54 PM
we go every two years and we are now down to 9 months. It seems to take FOREVER!!!! I jsut want it to be here. So I understand. I am so bummed because I missed Samanthas special last night!!!! Was it good?

It was good. In some ways not as good as others, but I still enjoyed watching it. There is another one next Friday night. I think the same time. It is always nice to see new shows on Disney. It does help a little bit with the sadness, but then sometimes it makes it worse because you want to go that much more!

Dee - do you own DVC?

wilsonfamily4
04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
no we rent points. We were going to buy DVC for this next trip because the cost for renting was so high this time, 2 bedroom for 8 nights. But we live so far away that going every other year just didn't make it worthwhile for us. Sadly after I got husband on board I realized it just wasn't wise for us. After that it hasn't felt as bad not owning. We just don't know how much longer we will want to go. And also we HAVE to buy airfare for Florida, that can get spendy. We wrote out all the places we want to vacation (most we can drive to) and decided we will just pay out of pocket each time. And someday we may decided to even go off property and stay in a house or condo. We would probably buy Worldmark before DVC now since there are more spots to vacation on the west coast with them. And then we could trade those points in for Disney.

linanglab
04-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I figured you didn't own, because I knew you rented points. But I thought you might be in the process of buying. We just don't have the extra right now. We have to gut 2 bathrooms this summer and we need a new roof....we live in a money pit....

I was reading on "the other site" about people who rent a camping site, then they stay offsite. They actually save money doing that. They even called WDW to see if it was legal, and the CM's told them that as long as they paid for their site, they can do whatever they want with it....stay the whole time, stay part of the time, or do nothing at all with it. You cannot get the dining plan with it. It was a tempting thought, however it seemed sneaky to me.....legal or not! However....right or wrong, I keep thinking about it! LOL

lmroyea
04-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Angela, it's been a pretty crazy week for me. You're not alone. I'm listening to the Fantasmic soundtrack right now, cause I needed a little Disney. I love to hear the music when I can't be there. Makes me feel good, AND I can picture everything in my mind like it is there. Do you have the CDs? If not I can burn them and send them to you. They help alot when you're missing Mickey and feel like you're far from home.

linanglab
04-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Angela, it's been a pretty crazy week for me. You're not alone. I'm listening to the Fantasmic soundtrack right now, cause I needed a little Disney. I love to hear the music when I can't be there. Makes me feel good, AND I can picture everything in my mind like it is there. Do you have the CDs? If not I can burn them and send them to you. They help alot when you're missing Mickey and feel like you're far from home.

I have the set of 6 Disney movie CD's. Well....most of them are from movies. I love listening to them! So do my kids (and my oldest is 13!) I especially like to listen to them when we are in the final weeks before our trip! It gets me all giddy! LOL

LuvMyBoys
04-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I know how you feel, it seems to be especially hard these weeks when free dining comes out and it feels like EVERYONE is going! :(

We were going to wait until December or January to go but then we got the free dining bug and I ran prices and we decided that free dining just saves us alot of $$ and besides we couldn't wait till then anyway!:rotfl:

Anyway, have you seen the Magic Kingdom board game? We got that for Christmas from my mom and the kids just LOVE it! It has the whole magic kingdom and all the attractions, etc. The kids love playing it and remembering all the things they have done and want to do next time. It's really a fun family game that gives you a little bit of the "magic" feel. :love:

Here's another thought, why not drive up to Ann Arbor some weekend and grab Earl of Sandwich? Did you know we have one here now? That could give you a little taste of WDW :mickey:

missymouse
04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
no we rent points. We were going to buy DVC for this next trip because the cost for renting was so high this time, 2 bedroom for 8 nights. But we live so far away that going every other year just didn't make it worthwhile for us. Sadly after I got husband on board I realized it just wasn't wise for us. After that it hasn't felt as bad not owning. We just don't know how much longer we will want to go. And also we HAVE to buy airfare for Florida, that can get spendy. We wrote out all the places we want to vacation (most we can drive to) and decided we will just pay out of pocket each time. And someday we may decided to even go off property and stay in a house or condo. We would probably buy Worldmark before DVC now since there are more spots to vacation on the west coast with them. And then we could trade those points in for Disney.

You do know that they are building DVC at DL right? I guess it depends where you want to go. We only got enough points to go on a nice vaction every 3 years or so. The off years we will go other places and pay OOP

disney_girl
04-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Here's another thought, why not drive up to Ann Arbor some weekend and grab Earl of Sandwich? Did you know we have one here now? That could give you a little taste of WDW :mickey:

Oh my....:heart: Earl of Sandwich!! There aren't any near us! DH and I were even reading up on their franchises! If only we had that kind of money! :)

disney_girl
04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
One of Tony's co-workers went to WDW last month with his daughter's band. He and his wife and other daughter stayed at an offsite hotel. They did one of those timeshare presentation deals for a free stay. They are looking into buying into that timeshare. I know he mentioned that it was cheaper than a DVC timeshare. While it's not onsite at Disney, it could be a cheaper option to "get you there more often". Having said that... I don't know anything else about other timeshares. I believe that resales of DVC are also cheaper and a good option to look into. But going on a tour and having them run some numbers for you, may help you lay it all in front of you.

MooseBrains
04-13-2008, 11:41 AM
With the DVC you get the advantage of Magical Express, you can add in dining with your stay, you also get EMH and when shopping the packages are sent to your room. Also being on the Disney bus system is just plain easy.

Resales are a good way to find what you want at a lower price and if you are not having to finance it is a good way to save $. I like the TSS. Tom and his staff to what they can to make the process easy.

Having a wash machine means less packing and also we stay clean the entire trip. Even the public wash machines and dryers are free at the DVC's.

If anyone ever needs a referral I am more than happy and will split the booty!

Magical JenK
04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Ahhh Ang! I feel your Disney pain! I'm very grateful for my trips this year & am more grateful that DH loves going just like me!

The TV speicals & CDs help me try to get over the withdrawls. Also, looking through my photos & planning my next trip helps too!!

pbhall13
04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Angela

hope you are feeling 'better' today. I save the park maps and take those out every so often and the girls and I go through them and make a 'plan' of what we are going to do on our next trip. It does somewhat help.

I need to buy the Disney CD that has all the songs from the parks.....Sadie is missing the carousel of progress.....she sings that song all the time, so I think I may have to do a search to order it.

pamela

disney_girl
04-13-2008, 01:19 PM
You should order those free personalized maps and start planning! The maps are really nice too!

https://secure.disney.go.com/wdw/myVacation/customizedMaps/index?id=CustomizedMapsFlashPage

askomsky
04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Angela, My kids have only been once and constantly ask when we're going back.

DH didn't want to spend a lot of money on it to start off, so I really had to number crunch and find the best deal.
Here's how it broke down for our family of 5. 11/15 -11/23
$3000 total not including meals.
$900 for airfare (SW I got it for $160 RT each)
$900 (give or take) (5) 7 day passes (2 adult 3 kids straight base ticket, discount through DH's work)
$700 for 8 days 7 nights 3 bdrm 2 bath heated pool 15 mins off site
$350 rental mini van w/coupon and thru SR!
$70 parking each day at the park
$80 airport parking

The house was gorgeous and more then enough room. Remember we were traveling with a 8.5, 5 and 4 yr old, so we would wake early and go and leave the park around 7pm which worked well for us.
We did do the MVMCP which I ordered in advance on an off night and saved $$ I think it was $190 for the 5 of us that I paid with SR money.
I also went to WDW with $300 disney GC curteousy of SR and my kids each had $50 of their own from change they saved and $ from the grandparents for soviners. All of our counter food and snacks pretty much were used by GC's. We aren't big lunch people so we would bring in snacks, girls are picky eaters so I just brought uncrustables in for them everyday.
really the only money out of pocket we used was for $100 groceries for milk, breakfast, coffee, snacks, water etc the first day when I went to the grocery store and about $20-$25 a night at McDonalds, chick fil a or Applebees.

When I had a TA price it out for me with staying at Disney and dining etc it was over $5000, DH would not have gone if it cost that much.

So while I've been told it's more inconvient staying off site and we don't benefit with magic hours, dining plan isnt' a big deal for us, kids don't know any better, we still had a magical time and made it work for us for a grand total of about $3500.

Just some food for thought, as I'm not sure what it would cost a family of 5 staying OP with dining. We probably won't go again until 09/10 but I guarentee you unless I make enough from SR to pay for it all we won't be staying onsite again then either.

ligrumpygirl
04-13-2008, 01:42 PM
This thread made me start one on saving $ for Disney. Check it out!

linanglab
04-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I am still missing Disney ALOT. But it helps to vent to my SR Disney nuts! Our vacation this year is Virginia Beach. And while I love going to VA Beach (we go on our off years from Disney) I still rather be at WDW. I am thankful that we get to go every other year. Some people don't ever get to go, or only go once in their lives. So I do need to be appreciative.

Told DH that when we get older, we will look into moving south. Not only can I be warm all year long, but I could have my own palm tree and be closer to WDW! I need to raise my grandkids to be Disney lovin' freaks like all of us, right? LOL

lmroyea
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, I agree! I've asked my parents about retirement, but my Mom is set on Vegas or Arizona. She says Florida's too humid for her and she doesn't like her hair in humidity! She'd rather be in the dry desert so her hair looks nice. Guess it will have to be DL instead of WDW!:rotfl:

Weluvdisny
04-13-2008, 06:38 PM
We were just in PA for my DS's soccer game and it was really warm-78. The only thing we could think of was how it reminded us of our trip in January because it was the best weather we've ever had.

We also stayed overnight and I used the BW's shampoo and shower gel.

Since we are re-doing our trip from January, I'm driving the girl I rent DVC points from crazy cuz I keep changing my mind for our trip in November. I can't decide where to stay! We wanted BC but at the 7 month window it was booked up. We have SSR right now and I just don't know if that's what everyone will want. I'm driving myself and all my family crazy too!!:rotfl:

Pooh's Pal
04-13-2008, 11:39 PM
You all will get a kick out of this....while missing Disney badly one day and listing some stuff on Ebay to sell, and looking for stuff for my Pooh bathroom, I came across this person that sells Disney World and Disneyland t-shirts and sweatshirts. Well, they were so cute, I had to have one!
I got a plain black one that says: I'd Rather Be In Walt Disney World! Cost me 20 bucks including shipping, but when I'm really missing disney I put on the shirt and a cd...and it really helps! (I know you all will think I am really nuts now!)
Here's a link to his ebay page: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdisneyhero His Ebay ID is disneyhero

linanglab
04-14-2008, 06:05 AM
You all will get a kick out of this....while missing Disney badly one day and listing some stuff on Ebay to sell, and looking for stuff for my Pooh bathroom, I came across this person that sells Disney World and Disneyland t-shirts and sweatshirts. Well, they were so cute, I had to have one!
I got a plain black one that says: I'd Rather Be In Walt Disney World! Cost me 20 bucks including shipping, but when I'm really missing disney I put on the shirt and a cd...and it really helps! (I know you all will think I am really nuts now!)
Here's a link to his ebay page: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdisneyhero His Ebay ID is disneyhero

Nope....dont think you are nuts AT all! I bought Mickey canister sets for my birthday this year. I needed that Disneyish feeling when I am in the kitchen. Everytime I look at it - and I mean EVERY time I see it, I smile! It is nice to be in good company with people who have the Disney obsession!

JillyFish
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I am SO missing WDW too!!!! :(

Want to know how pathetic I am? I go to disneyworld.com just so I can hear the sounds of Main Street USA!

Then one morning last week while I was waiting with DD for the school bus I said, "Let's play a game. The game is....'If I was at Disney World right now, I would.....'" DD loved the idea. We took turns saying what we would be doing and before the bus came we went to the Magic Kingdom, walked through the castle, rode the teacups, carrousel, Winnie the Pooh, Barnstormer, and BTMRR. Then we went to Epcot, hit the character Spot, rode Test Track, The Grande Fiesta Tour, and Spaceship Earth, and saw O, Canada! It was really fun!

linanglab
04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Jilly - NOT silly. (HA! That rhymes!!!) We do this game. I start humming a song. The kids have to guess the song and guess the movie it is in. If they cannot guess it, then I sing the words. Each child gets 1 point for each correct answer. We are truly a Disney family. Just not enough of a travelling Disney family!