PDA

View Full Version : Bio spot flea control from Dr. Foster Smith?

Hedy
04-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Sping is in the air, and as a mama of two furbabies, it's time to think about flea control (they're indoor cats). I usually get Frontline, but Dr. Foster Smith's catalog advertises bio-spot as a cheaper alternative to Front line. Has anyone used this?

zoodoyle
04-16-2008, 02:46 PM
At my hospital, we recommend advantage/advantix or frontline. For our area, Frontline in particular seems to do the best job, and has the fewest number of reactions. I've heard of many more reactions to biospot (and definitely don't use Hartz!!!).

Hedy
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
At my hospital, we recommend advantage/advantix or frontline. For our area, Frontline in particular seems to do the best job, and has the fewest number of reactions. I've heard of many more reactions to biospot (and definitely don't use Hartz!!!).

Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

sunshinecindy
04-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Please don't use Bio spot or any other Hartz flea product. I've seen too many liver failures and kidney failures and deaths from it.

Hedy
04-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Please don't use Bio spot or any other Hartz flea product. I've seen too many liver failures and kidney failures and deaths from it.

It's Hartz! Good grief, no wonder it was cheap!

mjjmbnmm
04-16-2008, 03:45 PM
wow, I've been using bio spot for 3 years and have never had a problem, I'll have to rethink what I use now.

sunshinecindy
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
The main active ingredient in Bio Spot is a pesticide known as Permethrin (it is used in more than 18 similar products, including Bayer K9 Advantix, Defend EXspot, and Hartz Control OneSpot). It kills insects by paralyzing their nervous system (that is also how nerve gas works). However, it cannot distinguish between an insect's nervous system, a dog's nervous system, or a human's nervous system. That is why it is important to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling.

Hedy.... I meant to say that Bio spot and OneSpot by Hartz are the same thing, guess I didn't quite complete my answer. LOL

cglaura
04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
be careful of Sergeant's Gold also, this is what happened to Bear 2 months ago, down the entire stripe on his back, and then spread out too. he's fine now, but what an ordeal, he wound up losing about 60% of the fur on his top torso, he looked like one of those commercials for aspca.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/disavhelpu/100_0725-1.jpg

normal happy Bear :)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/disavhelpu/100_1241.jpg