PDA

View Full Version : Going Green This Earth Day?

SunshineGirl
04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
As I work on today's Sunshine Rewards newsletter, I am wondering....

What are you doing to be more green this Earth Day, April 22?

Are you doing anything special to celebrate? Are you educating yourself?

Positive responses only, please! This isn't meant as a debate over the necessity of being green, only to celebrate and share ideas.

Hedy
04-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Two things I'm working on:
1. Using re-usable bags at the grocery store (I have them-I just forget to *bring* them)...
2. Reducing the number of pre-packaged foods I used-at present I'm working on reducing them in my luch-for example-nuts on the net nuts in a tupperware container rather than 100 calorie packs in their wrapping.

Don't forget that AK turns 10 on Earth Day.

PSL1013
04-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm planning on getting some reusable "green" bags to take to the grocery store. I know I can buy them at the grocery store and I've seen them at Walmart but I would love to find some with a nice design on them....anyone know where I can purchase something like this, of course SR credit would be great but nothing really came up in a search.

wilsonfamily4
04-17-2008, 12:00 PM
I too bought reusable bags this week! They are sitting by the front door so I need to remmber to put them in the van.

I WISH WISH WISH we could buy a green car. But we just don't have the money for that now. When we do get a new vehicle I will seriously look at those.

We do all the obvious; recycle, use energy effecient lightbulbs, bought energy efficient washer/dryer, etc.

I wish I could find something new to add to what we do. I have thought about using the kids bath water to water our garden but I am not sure I will do that.

SunshineGirl
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm planning on getting some reusable "green" bags to take to the grocery store. I know I can buy them at the grocery store and I've seen them at Walmart but I would love to find some with a nice design on them....anyone know where I can purchase something like this, of course SR credit would be great but nothing really came up in a search.

How about ReusableBags.com (http://www.sunshinerewards.com/leads_sales.php?aid=645)? :)

askomsky
04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I too just bought a few of the reusable bags, I do have them in my van but sometimes forget to bring them in. I only bought 3 bc I do like the other grocery sacks bc I reuse them for so many other things. I used to throw diapers away with them, bathroom trash can, DH uses it as a lunch bag etc, but I have so many I figured I could cut it in half.

I'm eager for everyone elses ideas!

gpp2001
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
I too use reusable bags and I love them and when I have too many groceries, I always ask for paper. I am driving the car that gets the highest gas mileage - DH is driving the companies car because he is working offsite.

I recycle. I try not to water the grass too much. Take shorter showers.

Dry a lot of my clothes outside.

askomsky
04-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I too use reusable bags and I love them and when I have too many groceries, I always ask for paper. I am driving the car that gets the highest gas mileage - DH is driving the companies car because he is working offsite.

I recycle. I try not to water the grass too much. Take shorter showers.

Dry a lot of my clothes outside.

We recycle also but I've been looking at ways to recycle more. Around here they only take certain items, which I always recycle but trying to figure out where I can take the others.

My next car hopefully will be green, and we have a well so we do conserve water as much as possible! lol (It's really shallow compared to most)

kimntrent
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
As for the home front we have energy star light bulbs and energy efficient appliances in the house. We don't use bags at the store. If we can't carry it we don't need it.

gpp2001
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I just looked at the reusablebags.com website - I have the ACME shopping bag and love it! It holds a ton of groceries and very easy to handle - I may have to order another one!! I have the Earthtote (just realized that there were several ACME bags!)

DH got it from work - he works for a very green company - their company car is a Prius.

PSL1013
04-17-2008, 01:08 PM
How about ReusableBags.com (http://www.sunshinerewards.com/leads_sales.php?aid=645)? :)

oh thank you....I'm definitely going to place an order. :)

PSL1013
04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I just looked at the reusablebags.com website - I have the ACME shopping bag and love it! It holds a ton of groceries and very easy to handle - I may have to order another one!! I have the Earthtote (just realized that there were several ACME bags!)

DH got it from work - he works for a very green company - their company car is a Prius.

Which bag do you have...trying to decide which ones to order.

missymouse
04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
My DH is the more environmentally conscious person in our household. We recycle everything we can, all energy efficient appliances except for the 14 year old refrigerator (that I almost got to replace but DH could fix it for about $100 so we just fixed it), and the flourescent bulbs. When we still lived in TX we also had solar screens on all the windows that were exposed to direct sunlight.

I am now seriously considering buying some reusable bags.

ETA: I ordered 3 x ACME Bags EarthTote™, Tan (ACM-06-TAN)
1 x ACME Bags™ Workhorse Style Special Set, Moroccan Blue

OhMari
04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I save the rubber bands, my newspaper comes bundled in. I give it back to our newspaper carrier periodically. I also save the plastic bags the newspaper carrier will use when it is raining. I have a little cupboard next to my front door and I just fold them up into one of the bags and put it by my front door when I want him to pick up the recycled bags and rubber bands.

gpp2001
04-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Which bag do you have...trying to decide which ones to order.

I have the Earthtote.

disney_girl
04-18-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm going to place an order for those bags too- thanks!!
I'm also looking into buying a refillable water bottle with filter.

Riyaa
04-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Yea! Now I can finally get some more Acme bags! :D

I'm planning on working on remembering to keep my air filter on our a/c/furnace replaced. This is the first time we've been responsible for it ourselves and having a clean filter can really increase the efficiency of it.

TtownAnne
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Right now I'm concentrating on reusing plastic bags and slowly but surely replacing them with fabric/canvas "permanent" bags. :) I'm good about remembering to take them to the grocery store, but I forget about taking them to Target/etc.

belbook
04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I have several "green" bags that I got at a conference that are fantastic for shopping. I keep one in both cars plus if i'm going to the grocery store, I grab another one from home.

My biggest "green" contribution is getting my dh to start using/remembering the bag and to work on little things at home that make a difference. Not leaving the water running while he's brushing his teeth or shaving, recyling cardboard packaging instead of tossing it, recyling batteries, and the list goes on....

It's taken me a long time but we're making progress.

disney_girl
04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I just got my Acme Earthtote bags from Reuseablebags and love them!! Great quality! Now to put them in the car for the next trip to the store!