PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened...

Blessing and Miracle
04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
On last Thursday I cleared my cookies as usual. I always restart my computer afterwards, but this time I couldn't reconnect to the internet and haven't been able to since Thursday ( on my laptop). DH and I have tried everything. Finally, on Friday I called HP for some tech help. They took me through two steps and nothing, so they advised me to backup everything on my computer before the next step and if that step doesn't work then I'll have to send it end. :( I'm getting ready to call back for the third step, but I was just wondering had anyone else experienced this. I do this all the time before taking the SM survey and or before during offers. I'm so sad without my laptop as I can't sit too long at the desktop.

Sunni
04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
:hugs: Lisa I can't offer any help. But I hope it all works out for you. I would be lost without my laptop. I know what you mean about the desktop.
Sending good thoughts to help out!

cglaura
04-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Are you using a router system (a desktop connected to internet w/ router that you get wireless on your laptop)?

Sometimes this happens w/ dd's laptop, and what I have to do is power down the modem and the router (disconnect from electric supply). Then reboot modem, then router. Then turn back on desktop, then laptop.

Otherwise, have you tried using a system restore back to the day you started having issues?

iluvamystery89
04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
i don't have a laptop so i'm no help, but i hope it works out for you. my HP desktop died on me last year and it was a great computer, i really liked it, so i kinda know how you feel. now i'm using an e-machine, lol, please don't ask me what i think of it-there aren't enough curse words in human language.

Blessing and Miracle
04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Are you using a router system (a desktop connected to internet w/ router that you get wireless on your laptop)?

Sometimes this happens w/ dd's laptop, and what I have to do is power down the modem and the router (disconnect from electric supply). Then reboot modem, then router. Then turn back on desktop, then laptop.

Otherwise, have you tried using a system restore back to the day you started having issues?

We tried to do the restore, but can't! Yes, we are using a router system. The desktop is working fine and DS's laptop is fine. It's just mine. could it affect only one computer?

mollyeilis
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
We tried to do the restore, but can't! Yes, we are using a router system. The desktop is working fine and DS's laptop is fine. It's just mine. could it affect only one computer?

The other night hubby and I were on our computers, both laptops, both wireless. Robert's worked. Mine didn't. Even after he got offline I still couldn't get anywhere. He had to do the router off, wait, on thing. Such a ridiculous workaround, but most of the time it works.

Anyway, yes, it can affect just one computer.

daninyc
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM
My wonderful Verizon router craps out on me ALL the time. I have to turn it off, unplug it, wait 30 seconds, then power it back up and wait for all the lights to turn on and THEN reconnect my laptop to the internet. Very annoying, but it works.

Blessing and Miracle
04-28-2008, 07:20 PM

The other night hubby and I were on our computers, both laptops, both wireless. Robert's worked. Mine didn't. Even after he got offline I still couldn't get anywhere. He had to do the router off, wait, on thing. Such a ridiculous workaround, but most of the time it works.

Anyway, yes, it can affect just one computer.

My wonderful Verizon router craps out on me ALL the time. I have to turn it off, unplug it, wait 30 seconds, then power it back up and wait for all the lights to turn on and THEN reconnect my laptop to the internet. Very annoying, but it works.

DH just tried this, but still it won't work!:(

Thanks, guys!

mollyeilis
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I copy/pasted your post to hubby...He says (the following is from the IM box from him):

Really depends on what she means that she could not reconnect.

Just clearing cookies should not do anything however if she did something to other setting then she could have accidently changed one parameter in particular.

(the following is specifically for Windows XP but assuming you're using Windows I'm sure it's somewhat the same for any version...if it doesn't make sense for your operating system let me know and I'll see if he can snag the steps for what you need)

She should follow the first 9 steps for wired networks and then the next 9 steps for WIFI networks and she should do all of them. That way her system will work for both wired and wifi (assuming this works/helps).

To check the parameter, she would just have to follow the following steps
1. Click on the start button
2. Mouse over Connect to and then select show all connections.
3. Double click on Local Area Connection
4. Click on the properties button
5. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
6. Click on the properties button.
7. Make sure the radio buttons for Obtain an IP address automatically is selected and Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.
8. Click ok
9. Click close.

For Wifi Networks, Follow the same steps but this time instead of the original number 3 and 4, use this number 3 and 4

3. Double click on Wireless Network Connection
4. Click on Change Advance Settings

5 thru 9 should be the same.

Blessing and Miracle
04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I copy/pasted your post to hubby...He says (the following is from the IM box from him):

Really depends on what she means that she could not reconnect.

Just clearing cookies should not do anything however if she did something to other setting then she could have accidently changed one parameter in particular.

(the following is specifically for Windows XP but assuming you're using Windows I'm sure it's somewhat the same for any version...if it doesn't make sense for your operating system let me know and I'll see if he can snag the steps for what you need)

She should follow the first 9 steps for wired networks and then the next 9 steps for WIFI networks and she should do all of them. That way her system will work for both wired and wifi (assuming this works/helps).

To check the parameter, she would just have to follow the following steps
1. Click on the start button
2. Mouse over Connect to and then select show all connections.
3. Double click on Local Area Connection
4. Click on the properties button
5. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
6. Click on the properties button.
7. Make sure the radio buttons for Obtain an IP address automatically is selected and Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.
8. Click ok
9. Click close.

For Wifi Networks, Follow the same steps but this time instead of the original number 3 and 4, use this number 3 and 4

3. Double click on Wireless Network Connection
4. Click on Change Advance Settings

5 thru 9 should be the same.

Thank you so much! However, it still won't work. DH said that it's something unplugged on the inside. I forgot exactly what it is, but that was so nice of you and your DH to try to find the solution.:)

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to send it to HP. Thank goodness for warranties!