PDA

View Full Version : How have you been affected?

missangie
05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
In an attempt to better understand the affect that an economic downturn and higher gas prices are having on online shopping patterns, we've put together a little survey. Your input would be very helpful. To ensure that our results are pure and not skewed, we'd like for the survey to include volunteer responses only. The survey is short and should only take a couple of minutes.

Tell us--how have you been affected? Use the link below and let us know. Thanks for your input! :)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=p0PZEN0CshDh1BISA8gP1g_3d_3d

sunshinecindy
05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Good Survey Angie. Very anxious to see the results.

disney_girl
05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Good survey- the results should be interesting!!

kimntrent
05-13-2008, 02:48 PM
I have to agree great survey

iluvamystery89
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
cool survey :) can't wait to see the results-i know i'm definitely shopping more online and combining errands.

gpp2001
05-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Wait - I don't do surveys unless I get paid for them!!!! :rotfl:

SunshineGirl
05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm anxious to see what the results look like as well. People keep asking me if I am seeing any patterns in the shopping on our site and I just am not really sure.

askomsky
05-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Wait - I don't do surveys unless I get paid for them!!!! :rotfl:

LOL I didn't even think about it. Miss Angie asked and I was more then happy to help! Maybe I should have asked for a .01 credit!

kimntrent
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Is there an increase in traffic at certain stores you see?

SunshineGirl
05-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Is there an increase in traffic at certain stores you see?

I haven't really seen anything consistent at ALL. For some merchants we are seeing more shopping and for some we are seeing less. We have more members, but spending is almost the exact same. So I would say overall spending is down a little. One thing for sure is that merchants are more worried about it. They are the ones coming to us asking us what it would take (aside from a higher commission) to get us to sell more. In fact, some have actually LOWERED our commissions in response to the economy.

We saw more food purchases for Mother's Day this year compared to flowers. Maybe thinking about more practical gifts? And we're seeing a LOT of ebay.

JOLAROCHE
05-13-2008, 05:40 PM
I really thought that was a good survey. Looking forward to seeing the results. I know I am browsing more online in diffeent stores and if I happen to see what I want and there is free shipping. I will go for it. I am also trying to make more stops on my way home from work so I do not have to go out later and use more gas.

kimntrent
05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I am a huge ebay person. I have had like a purchase a day come through. But for me I see more shopping on the drugstore.com aspect.

askomsky
05-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I probably shop a little more online then I did before, but as long as the price and shipping are right. I am a bargain shopper, and having so many stores within 20 mins of me in all different directions it's not as big of a deal.
BUT the first time in 2 yrs I've started paying attention to my driving habits and making practical choices in running errands with kids activities etc. Never thought much about it before, but the last two weeks I have and have actually gotten an extra day to day and half on my tank of gas.

lanny76
05-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Good survey. Of course, since I discovered SR and cashback, I have been more interested in doing some shopping online! And in the last while, it occurred to me that it would be better to do online shopping at stores that aren't close enough to drive to on a regular basis - like Old Navy or Target. I see that I can get some things online that I can't find in the store anyway. And it is a little more convenient sometimes to just do a bit of shopping when kids are napping!
The thing that gets me sometimes is the shipping costs, tho! On something I ordered for my parents from Target, the shipping was $32 - which was almost half the cost of the item - ouch. The item wasn't included in the free shipping that Target has for things often. If there's free shipping, or one low price, I like that best. Otherwise, paying a lot for shipping sort of seems to negate the money saved on gas, to me.
I'm doing more online shopping, but I would have to say overall, that I am not spending any more than usual - important to stay within budget, esp. with food prices higher!

mdapiggy
05-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Great survey I'm interested to see the results--I think if you are a working mom at lot of time convenience is most important. For me I already shop for groceries at night because it just don't have enough time.

DisneyMa
05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I am very curious to see the results. Personally, I don't shop a whole lot online right now because there just doesn't seem to be "extra" money in the budget. If I do need a purchase I will always look at SR to see if I can get $$ back for that purchase. Still with the gas going up I have cut back on other things (budget wise) to allow for the increase in gas.

On Sunday (Mother's Day) DH and I went out to do some window shopping. We went to our favorite Starbucks and bought two drinks. The barista (my favorite one) knows our drinks and made them with perfection!! He commented to DH that he hasn't seen us in a while, he thought we were on vacation!!:rotfl: VACATION?!!! I can barely afford the gas to go and buy a Starbucks!!:rotfl:

That being said, I will need to refill my card soon:angel:

chipndale
05-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Good Survey - It will be interesting to see the results. I know that the high gas prices has changed the way we drive. Of course my big gas hog - Jeep Commander - does not help but I love the size and with the kids it just makes life much easier. I do not just run to the mall to shop or just decide to take the kids out to look at toys. And when I go grocery shopping, I do all the other stops that I need to. Since I am a SAHM, I try to do all my shopping in one day and I am home the rest of the week saving on gas. At first I really didn't like it but if it means that I can continue to stay home with the kids - that is what I will do. DH has a company vehicle but we have to pay for the gas and then turn in the receipts to get reimbursed. I try to make sure DH is taking advantage of any credit card offers that is going on. SAVE!!!!

arob414
05-14-2008, 06:58 PM
The thing that gets me sometimes is the shipping costs, tho! On something I ordered for my parents from Target, the shipping was $32 - which was almost half the cost of the item - ouch.

I look for free or cheap shipping. Target has 3 drawer chests in their baby section (BassettBaby) that I have seen in the store. Couple months ago, I went to the store to buy two for my girls. They are very nicely made and not too big, cost around $350 each. The store had a display but none to sell. Went home looked on line. They were going to cost nearly $1000 with shipping. :( Too much. I am watching for them to be for sale with free shipping.

missangie
05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
We have completed this survey. I will analyse the results and share soon. Thank you so much for participating!! You guys are the BEST!

missangie
05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
We have completed this survey. I will analyse the results and share soon. Thank you so much for participating!! You guys are the BEST!

Okay, so as a woman, I reserve the right to change my mind! We originally agreed to stop at 100 survey responses, but we have had such great participation that we decided to extend this survey through Sunday evening. The results so far are very interesting. If you haven't had a chance to let us know your thoughts, please do. We want your input.

Thanks,
Angie

ShanPooh
05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Good survey!
I'll be interested in the results as well.

SunshineGirl
05-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Don't forget that Angie opened this back up through the weekend. We'll be analyzing the results starting on Monday. :)

marcymajor
05-16-2008, 02:15 PM
cool survey - can't wait to see the results.:sunshine:

jnorth1007
05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I did the survey the other day and I thought is was a great survey. I can't wait to see the results also.