PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Trip Revealed!

Magical JenK
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Some of you may have read on other posts that I was planning a suprise trip for DH this year, I'm just so excited about it, so I thought I'd post about it!!

I told him yesterday morning & he's just soooooo excited!! And I quote, "I have a glow about me today...a "Disney glow!" So yeah, I'd say that surprisng DH w/a Disney trip is a good thing!! Every once in awhile I was worried about what those on another site who flamed wives for surprising husbands w/trips were right & DH would be mad...but I knew he wouldn't be, but if you read enough flame posts you start to question yourself you know...

Anway this is how it went down...(sorry in advance for how long this will probably be!)

I paid the trip off & so then it was time to tell him! DH is ah um...well, let's just say "money conscious" so I knew that in order for him to be totally on board I'd have to show proof that 1) it's paid in full, & 2) savings account wasn't impacted. So I did screen prints that showed the DISNEY RESORTS charge & the immediate payment & the balance of my savings account. I also had a spreadsheet listing "how" I paid for it, i.e. 2nd job checks & Disney GIFT CARDS from my sites :cooldance: !!

Now on to the fun part....

DH works nights so when he got home yesterday morning there was a box on his side of the bed w/a card that said "These are for you. They are hints. Open each one as numbered & see if you can figure it out. No, you cannot just open the last one first." Then I wrote some mushy stuff inside about how I love him & this is not what you think, but I hope you like it anyway. (I wanted him to think we were going to Mexico, we're staying at Coronado Springs...see, not what you think!!)

Hint #1) Shorts & t-shirt (pretty basic, nothing special)
His reaction: ok, thanks...

Hint #2) Sunscreen
His reaction: was this the stuff I used the other day (yes, I re-gifted used sunscreen :rotfl: )

Hint #3) Margarita glass
His reaction: just looked at the glass & looked at me like, wow, thanks....NOT!

Hint #4) B & W "brochure" of photos of CSR w/headings like "Tropical Beaches," "Relaxing Settings," "Tranquil Breezes." (My dad & I made this ourselves w/photos of CSR, but I wanted him to think it was a brochure from a Mexican resort so I cropped the photos just so...making it b&w really made it look more authentic I think!!)
His reaction: Where are we going?????

Hint #5) A sombero & maracas
His reacation: I don't want to go to Mexico....I really don't....I said, well we'll see...just keep going....

Hint #6) A letter from "Cindy" inviting "Prince Steve" to a Royal Luncheon on September 11th at 12:15 & blah, blah, blah. (Now, I really, really thought this would have been the hint that he would have been like, OMG, we're going to Disney...but no.....)
His reaction: I don't get it? Who's Cindy?

Last Hint) T-shirt that I made for him w/images from a great person on DIS that read on front YOP 2007 & on the back is all the princesses w/Year of the Princesses on the back (DH said that if we had been going to WDW this year, he wanted to meet all the princesses & I said, oh so it would be your Year of the Princesses & he was all like YEAH. So YOP=Year of Princesses...his "theme")
His reaction: Ah, cute, thanks.

He still didn't get it?! So he's just looking at me & I said, you still don't get it?
He said, No. I'm like, really? You don't get any of it? Then it was like a lightbulb went off & he gasps, puts his hands to his mouth & says WE AREN'T GOING TO DISNEY ARE WE?! And I say YES we are & pulled out the "proof" & he was very, very excited & happy!

He was most impressed w/the amount of Disney Gift Cards I had earned & applied to the trip...I think he was just a little disappointed that those were already spent (he he he), but I told him that I was still earning & that we'd have more by the time our trip came around!

I'm so thankful to have found SR this year! We really didn't think we were going to be able to go this year due to some unexpected situations that happened earlier this spring, but I had been saving & then earning from SR, so I thought I'd see if I could do it all on my own & I did! It was the best & he's so happy!

So thank you Tricia for starting SR & allowing our dreams to come you! You're just like Walt!!

Second, Have a magical day!! I know I will!
Jen

SunshineGirl
06-17-2007, 12:09 PM
This is so incredibly cool!! I can just imagine how excited you both are to be going. I wish I could do something like that for DH some day. I bet he thinks you are the coolest wife in the whole world. :)

pattip03
06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
What a fabulous story!
Sunshine Rewards certainly makes planning a trip to Disney easier.:clap: :clap: :clap:

bbangel
06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Glad you got a great reaction from him. I'm sure you will have a fabulous trip.

m 'n c
06-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Congrats!!!! I couldn't surprise bf but I did shock him over my earnings for next year's trip. He is so excited. I'm hoping to get to stay longer at the parks this time. 5 days just wasn't enough last year. I love seeing my balance grow on here and can't wait until the July special cash out.

Please let me know how Cindy's round table goes. We did the norway dinner with the princesses which was nice but i'm always looking for something new.

speechteachri
06-17-2007, 03:40 PM
That's awesome!! I wouldn't be abl;e to surprise my dh that way I don't think, but I was able to convince him that we should go since I had lots of giftcards saved up! If I hadn't had them we wouldn't be going in less than a month!!!:cooldance:

ItsmeSunnyV
06-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Your so lucky, well the both of you are!! Him for having such an awesome wife, and you for having a hubby who likes :mickey:Disney:minnie: !!!lol Thats way cool for you guys! Congrats!

coastalgirl
06-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Great story!!! I am glad it went well. You must be over the top now that he knows too!!! I hope you all have a great time!!!!

Chelley00
06-17-2007, 07:28 PM
How fun! We're surprising the kids this year, so it was neat to read about your reveal :)

I don't think I should give my kids my margarita glass though!!

chipndale
06-19-2007, 09:56 AM
What a great way to surprise him. Love the clues. It is so funny that he asked so who is Cindy? My dd talks about Cindy all the time and dh still asks who is Cindy. She told him the other day that Cindy is Cinderella - why can't you remember that she is a real princess. :rotfl:

Magical JenK
06-19-2007, 10:55 AM
What a great way to surprise him. Love the clues. It is so funny that he asked so who is Cindy? My dd talks about Cindy all the time and dh still asks who is Cindy. She told him the other day that Cindy is Cinderella - why can't you remember that she is a real princess. :rotfl:

Well I originally had it signed Cinderella, but I didn't want it to be toooo obvious. So I figured, if I signed it Cindy, he would open the letter & look immediately to see who it was from & see Cindy & be confused & then figure it out from reading the invite...but no...he was just plain ol' confused!! :rotfl:

When I asked him what he thought the "invite" was, he thought it was something like Disney on Ice! :p

Yeah, I'm very, very excited! Now everything I earn goes towards FUN money down there!! Only 77 days left! Now...if I could only be content w/my ADRs!! Doesn't it always seem like you want to plan, plan, plan even when everything is set? You just don't feel "normal" unless you're planning?? :confused:

disneynut
06-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh how exciting. What a great surprise.

Magical JenK
06-19-2007, 11:04 AM
This is so incredibly cool!! I can just imagine how excited you both are to be going. I wish I could do something like that for DH some day. I bet he thinks you are the coolest wife in the whole world. :)

I didn't think I could pull it off (financially & otherwise), so I'm very, very glad that it all worked out how I had hoped!! And while I did read to him what you wrote, he said, well I don't know about cool...but you're pretty darn amazing!! :0)

Your so lucky, well the both of you are!! Him for having such an awesome wife, and you for having a hubby who likes :mickey:Disney:minnie: !!!lol Thats way cool for you guys! Congrats!

You know what's sooooo funny? Is that HE'S the one who started me on my Disney obsession! He thought we should go in 2004--our first trip since our honeymoon in 2000--and HE wanted to stay onsite, I didn't even know about onsite or offsite or anything. Well, let's just say he created a Disneymonster in me! And he'll be the FIRST to say that he's the reason I'm the way I am w/Disney!! he he he he

Thank you all for your responses & reading the "book"!! I just HAD to share!

m 'n c
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Isn't it great when the guy is the one who creates the monster. I swear my bf is the same way as your dh. He wouldn't allow himself to get too excited about disney until a few weeks before we left then afterwards he was like we can't do this every year but maybe every 3 years. then we started pricing "other" vacations and he realized what a "bargain" disney was and we are now on the once every 2 years schedule and he can't wait to go back either. He is warning me though that I can't compare our trip next year to the trip last year because it might not be a good/exciting. Who is he kidding??

m 'n c
06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
BTW. I should ask. How long are you going for and where are your ADRs at? are you doing MNSSHP?

Magical JenK
06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Isn't it great when the guy is the one who creates the monster. I swear my bf is the same way as your dh. He wouldn't allow himself to get too excited about disney until a few weeks before we left then afterwards he was like we can't do this every year but maybe every 3 years. then we started pricing "other" vacations and he realized what a "bargain" disney was and we are now on the once every 2 years schedule and he can't wait to go back either. He is warning me though that I can't compare our trip next year to the trip last year because it might not be a good/exciting. Who is he kidding??

You're sooooo talking about DH!! From the not allowing himself to get excited to saying we'll come back again someday....to next year!! Last year, DH was sick w/some stomach bug for almost our entire trip, so he's hoping this year WILL be better than last!! :) But the year before we were Grand Marshalls at MK so we really didn't know if 2006 could live up to 2005, but we still did have a great time...well, I did anyway!!

BTW. I should ask. How long are you going for and where are your ADRs at? are you doing MNSSHP?

We are going for 11 nights...but shhh.. that, too is a surprise. He thinks were' going for 10 nights (like the last 2 years), but when I found out about MNSSHP & the fact the day we were leaving is the date of the first night, I couldn't help myself by adding an additional night on & getting tickets!! This will be our first time at MNSSHP, last year we saw them setting up a couple things, but didn't think much of it. A friend of mine went & she totally convinced me. Have you been? How did you like it? Did you dress up?

So if I can pull it off, I don't think I'll tell him about leaving Saturday instead of Friday until our anniversary (Sun the 9th) & then tell him we're staying one more day & give him the tickets for the party (Fri 14th)...again, if I can pull it off. I'm not worried about time off from work or anything, but I'm just wondering if at the airport or when we check in at CSR he'll catch on that Saturday is the 15th...he he he

As for ADRs, I've got:
Liberty Tree Tavern, Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Turf Club (never been), California Grill (Anniversary night), Momma Melrose, CRT, Kona Cafe, Concourse Steakhouse, Coral Reef (never been), Tony's Town Square, Crystal Palace. Thinking of doing O'hana or Boma, but not sure which to take away just yet....any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for asking...as you can tell, I could go on & on & on & on about Disney, this trip or weddings....:p

Kycha
06-20-2007, 12:18 AM
We are going for 11 nights...but shhh.. that, too is a surprise. He thinks were' going for 10 nights (like the last 2 years), but when I found out about MNSSHP & the fact the day we were leaving is the date of the first night, I couldn't help myself by adding an additional night on & getting tickets!! This will be our first time at MNSSHP, last year we saw them setting up a couple things, but didn't think much of it. A friend of mine went & she totally convinced me. Have you been? How did you like it? Did you dress up?

So, are you going to surprise him with a costume to wear for MNSSHP? I love this surprise. I surprised my DH with a trip to Ireland for his 40th birthday in 2003. It was fantastic. Now, he better remember my 40th in a big way or he is in big trouble. I've got 15 months, so I'll start hinting now.

linanglab
06-20-2007, 07:44 AM
I love to hear about surprises!!! How excitiing!!!! We surprised our kids 2 years ago and that was fun. We waited until the morning that we left and told them. Their faces were priceless....

Now...if only to get my DH to plan a surprise WDW trip for me......

Angela

m 'n c
06-20-2007, 08:40 AM
We went to MNSSHP last year (see siggy pic ;) ) We had a lot of fun. We semi dressed up and glad we only wore what we did because anything else would have been too hot or painful on my feet. The characters all get dressed up and then they'll bring out some you don't see very often so skip the candy lines and go for the characters. Also the carriage is somewhere by frontierland and adventureland. I'd go there kind of early as the line easily builds up. We absolutely loved the party and we will be going back next year.

The only ADR of your's I've gone to is LTT and we really liked it. BF still talks about the "thanksgiving meal" restaurant there as his favorite. My favs were chef mickey's (love those mickey waffles) and then Biergarten - Yumm-o! I was instructed for next year - character meals only (except Beirgarten) haha. We got a kick out of them.

Magical JenK
06-20-2007, 09:44 AM
So, are you going to surprise him with a costume to wear for MNSSHP? I love this surprise. I surprised my DH with a trip to Ireland for his 40th birthday in 2003. It was fantastic. Now, he better remember my 40th in a big way or he is in big trouble. I've got 15 months, so I'll start hinting now.

I'm not a big Halloween fan, so no, we won't be dressing up. But I will be having some t-shirts made & give him that & the tickets. If he wants to wear the t-shirt fine, if not, no biggie.

Yes! You better start hinting to your DH for sure! :angel:

We went to MNSSHP last year (see siggy pic ;) ) We had a lot of fun. We semi dressed up and glad we only wore what we did because anything else would have been too hot or painful on my feet. The characters all get dressed up and then they'll bring out some you don't see very often so skip the candy lines and go for the characters. Also the carriage is somewhere by frontierland and adventureland. I'd go there kind of early as the line easily builds up. We absolutely loved the party and we will be going back next year.

The only ADR of your's I've gone to is LTT and we really liked it. BF still talks about the "thanksgiving meal" restaurant there as his favorite. My favs were chef mickey's (love those mickey waffles) and then Biergarten - Yumm-o! I was instructed for next year - character meals only (except Beirgarten) haha. We got a kick out of them.

Ohhh I didn't know that your pic was from MNSSHP! Awesome! Yes, I've heard that some costumes make it hard to get around. We're eating at Tony's that night at 430, so we'll be hitting the party right after & I plan on staying until the end!! :)

I'm very excited about the characters in costumes! I know DH would be too! I think I showed him a photo of Piglet as a flower & he said that was cute! So I think our PhotoPass card will be FULL!! We also love character meals (& photo ops for that matter)! LTT is our "traditional" first night & Crystal Palace is our traditional last morning! Love them both!

I'm kinda afraid of Biergarten & I can't really explain why because I do like German food....but I guess it's the cold buffet that scares me?? :confused:

Did you get to see the parade & Hallowishes? I'm excited for those as well! Well, heck, I'm excited about the whole night! What's funny, is that I bet if I were to ask DH if he wanted to go, he'd say nah, that's ok. But I KNOW when we're there he's going to LOVE it!! He's such a little kid when he's there...well, we both are!

m 'n c
06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Actually its norway with the cold buffet more so than biergarten. I think the only cold stuff there is the potato salad. Anyways. I saw both the Hallowishes and the Parade. I went to the last parade and we stood near LTT and we had a great spot in the front. The pooh characters rotate by the ride and they are all in costume (2 at a time are out). Then Minnie and Mickey are in their houses. Oh you have to watch the villians show and do the meet and greet with them. They do it for maybe 20 minutes after. We watched the last one of the night and I think we made it to almost all of the villians before they went in. It was kind of a neat thing since they aren't always out and about.

Also over by the Tiki Room they have an indoor area that use to be a restaurant I think that they put the jungle book and tarzan people in along with a candy line. Just kind of be on the look out earlier in the week or day when you are there because those party hours fly by so fast when you are trying to hit up everything.