PDA

View Full Version : Staples

SunshineGirl
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Staples has decided that due to economic concerns, it is not going to pay us any percentage on any orders for the rest of the summer. They are not closing their affiliate program and would like us to keep up our banners for them but our commission rate is now 0%. As a result, we are removing Staples from our site. Hopefully you can fill your office supply needs at stores like Quill and Office Depot, who are willing to pay for their advertising space.

Hedy
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm disappointed to hear that. I had at least two orders I was planning to place through them before 9/1.

askomsky
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear that to, but it was bound to happen with the economy the way it is.

SunshineGirl
06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
The thing is that it only hurts them, not helps them. They were only paying me if someone bought something through me. How much do you think that sales to our members are going to go down this summer as a result of this? They were only paying me 1-2% commission anyway. So they were making a lot off of every one of my people who bought through me. Now they lose a lot of those sales.

sunshinecindy
06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Staples has decided that due to economic concerns, it is not going to pay us any percentage on any orders for the rest of the summer. They are not closing their affiliate program and would like us to keep up our banners for them but our commission rate is now 0%. As a result, we are removing Staples from our site. Hopefully you can fill your office supply needs at stores like Quill and Office Depot, who are willing to pay for their advertising space.

Are you serious. Hey, can you do free advertising for me on your site cause I'm not going to pay you for promoting me, heck with Offiice Depot and Quill and the others that are willing to pay for their advertising space, cause you know, we are a big company that is hurting, so to heck with you little people. Oh c'mom. They can't be for real.Thats insane that a company that size would even insult us like that.....I will never order from them again. Not that I ordered much anyway cause I always got better deals at the other places anyway.

~Kathie
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
They must think people will shop on their website anyway. They don't know Sunshiners very well.

They had the nerve to ask you to advertise them for free by keeping their banner up? The economy isn't affecting your business is it??? :confused: Only theirs! Some administrator sitting in an office, someplace made a decision about something he/she has no clue about. DH would say it's eyewash. Looks good on paper, like they are doing something to cobat the downturn in the economy. It's possible this will come back and bite them.

SunshineGirl
06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah. They are essentially saying that our relationship is still "active" but just at a 0% commission rate. And as far as I know, they are doing it for almost all of their affiliates. I think they really underestimate the fact that people shop where they see coupons or cashback. And if cashback and coupon sites don't list them, people will find other merchants listed there that fit the bill.

missangie
06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I guess someone didn't consider the ramifications of using the EASY button to help with their financial difficulties!

askomsky
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Miss Angie...... :rotfl:

That's what Amy and I were just saying.. Plain dumb, bc unless it's a super sale or only specific to Staples, why would I order from them instead of someone like OD who's willing to pay us both? But please keep my sign up, even though the other companies are still going to pay, I want it for free... NOT!

chipndale
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
:rotfl: What are they thinking?!?

amarazas
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Cindy and Miss Angie... you are too much :rotfl:

I'm glad I didn't order from them... I am ordering some computer supplies tonight, and they were the first place I was going to look at! Guess I'm going to hit somewhere else tonight!

SunshineGirl
06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh! Don't forget about RestockIt for office supplies as well if you are buying in bulk. They have higher shipping but probably the best commissions.

fourfoxesinpa
06-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I remember many moons ago, Amazon used to offer %$ through rewards sites. Then, the "cash-back" went away and guess what - I bought everything at a different site if I l could get the same or better price. But there are times that I can only find what I am looking for at Amazon, or their price is just so darn good that I want to buy from them. So, I still buy from Amazon but ONLY after going through my public library's website link so someone (albeit not me) is benefitting from my purchase. I feel good knowing my library will get a percentage and I get the item I'm looking for.

It is very disappointing that Staples has cut "commissions" but, sadly, there are some terribly bad times out there and maybe this is a way they can offset some expenses without passing the increases along to consumers :confused: We're probably just a very small percentage of shoppers in their total customer base - I mean, there are probably a lot more online shoppers who just head directly to Staples than us "mavens" who use rewards sites. I just hope it's not a trend that will take off with other online businesses!

And, tsk, tsk, Staples for thinking that an affiliate would keep their advertising up for nothing in return!

askomsky
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I remember many moons ago, Amazon used to offer %$ through rewards sites. Then, the "cash-back" went away and guess what - I bought everything at a different site if I l could get the same or better price. But there are times that I can only find what I am looking for at Amazon, or their price is just so darn good that I want to buy from them. So, I still buy from Amazon but ONLY after going through my public library's website link so someone (albeit not me) is benefitting from my purchase. I feel good knowing my library will get a percentage and I get the item I'm looking for.

It is very disappointing that Staples has cut "commissions" but, sadly, there are some terribly bad times out there and maybe this is a way they can offset some expenses without passing the increases along to consumers :confused: We're probably just a very small percentage of shoppers in their total customer base - I mean, there are probably a lot more online shoppers who just head directly to Staples than us "mavens" who use rewards sites. I just hope it's not a trend that will take off with other online businesses!

And, tsk, tsk, Staples for thinking that an affiliate would keep their advertising up for nothing in return!

And to add, I would hate that someone would lose their job, so if this is how they have to cut back, I would rather see it this way then someone not getting a paycheck.

SunshineGirl
06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
The even bigger problem is that now it means that websites will go out of business. Combine things like this with other sites (like NFLShop today) who all of a sudden drop commissions on us without any notice. So no one at Staples may be losing their jobs, but people who work for websites like ours will. :(

fourfoxesinpa
06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Plus, you have the new law that went into effect in NY over the weekend re internet sales tax that could roll nationwide. :headache:

sunshinecindy
06-03-2008, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=fourfoxesinpa;146820]I remember many moons ago, Amazon used to offer %$ through rewards sites. Then, the "cash-back" went away and guess what - I bought everything at a different site if I l could get the same or better price. But there are times that I can only find what I am looking for at Amazon, or their price is just so darn good that I want to buy from them. So, I still buy from Amazon but ONLY after going through my public library's website link so someone (albeit not me) is benefitting from my purchase. I feel good knowing my library will get a percentage and I get the item I'm looking for.

Yes, but when Amazon was looking to build their business they didn't hesitate to be part of a rewards site and allow cash back to build their customer base. Now that they are one of the largest online shopping sites, they don't have any use for that, which doesn't sit well with me. We encourage our members to shop through them because that money goes into prizes for you guys, so in essence, you do get it back.

askomsky
06-03-2008, 05:33 PM
The even bigger problem is that now it means that websites will go out of business. Combine things like this with other sites (like NFLShop today) who all of a sudden drop commissions on us without any notice. So no one at Staples may be losing their jobs, but people who work for websites like ours will. :(

Are you saying that NFLshop just dropped their commissions on you???? :eek:
I'll be very upset, bc I just placed an order for DS's bday the other day (Sunday) through them bc they had a HIGHER % back. I could have ordered it from 3-4 other sites at a lower % back at the same price.

Wanted to add, that I don't want to see ANYONE lose their job, regardless of how it happens in the end.

SunshineGirl
06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Are you saying that NFLshop just dropped their commissions on you???? :eek:
I'll be very upset, bc I just placed an order for DS's bday the other day (Sunday) through them bc they had a HIGHER % back. I could have ordered it from 3-4 other sites at a lower % back at the same price.

Wanted to add, that I don't want to see ANYONE lose their job, regardless of how it happens in the end.

We actually lock commission rates based on when you click on our site. So when you click, we lock in the percentage we have posted the second that you click. So you are good. :)

deana
06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
ACKKK!! I just went to my local Staples and they did not have the camera card I needed...so I just signed on to order it online...:computer:

askomsky
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
We actually lock commission rates based on when you click on our site. So when you click, we lock in the percentage we have posted the second that you click. So you are good. :)

I should have looked to see that yes they're still offering a % back just 2% lower, which is fine, the way it sounded at first was that they dropped it all together. Whew!!!! 4 or 6% doesn't matter, for a while I thought I wasn't getting any back! lol

arob414
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM
The thing is that it only hurts them, not helps them. They were only paying me if someone bought something through me. How much do you think that sales to our members are going to go down this summer as a result of this? They were only paying me 1-2% commission anyway. So they were making a lot off of every one of my people who bought through me. Now they lose a lot of those sales.

We have a local Staples but I really never shop there. However, when I got ready to place an order for memory cards, I ordered from them because I was hunting the best deal that I could get THRU SR. If they had not been on SR, they wouldn't have made the sale. Guess my little memory card buying wasn't enough for them.:rolleyes:

JOLAROCHE
06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Well I just ordered a laptop from them and it was because I culd get credit which I did but now I will shop somewhere else. sunshine rules:banana:

m4travels
06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I was a Staples customer for years but then found Quill. Funny thing is, with every Quill order that I have delivered it comes via a Staples truck. I never really understood that relationship.

And I'll second what Tricia said about Restockit.com: GREAT percentage back and while the shipping may not be free the prices that I was getting on some of my toner cartridges was FABULOUS!:cooldance:

Best to everyone!

deana
06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I have to laugh... I was just about to order a camera card that my local staples did not have....then I saw this post, so I started searching at other SR shopping sites, found a BETTER card, although 4GB instead of the 8 that I wanted...with a rebate!! Ended up getting 2 cards for $96, with a $70 rebate to send in. Wow!!! Another great find at SR!!! :clap:

mum4jenn
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Guess it is tough times almost everywhere. It will only get worse

mollyeilis
06-06-2008, 05:14 PM
But there are times that I can only find what I am looking for at Amazon, or their price is just so darn good that I want to buy from them. So, I still buy from Amazon but ONLY after going through my public library's website link so someone (albeit not me) is benefitting from my purchase. I feel good knowing my library will get a percentage and I get the item I'm looking for.

Clicking through SR to amazon benefits SR, and us, b/c they use it for prizes and such. They like having affiliate sites, they just don't want the site to give that money to someone else.

And shopping there benefits me b/c my hubby works there. :sunshine:

sabrina90744
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM

This is so sad, oh well looks like I will be changing companies for our office purchases.

BTW, thanks for still giving me credit for that last order even though it was done the same day you posted the message.!