PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the Dis

MooseBrains
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't know if there is a different crowd or the just the people but the posts can go so negative quick lately. Also everyone is so judgmental and attacking people for posting.

What is up over there lately? I ask straight forward questions and lurk a lot but it almost seems unhealthy lately. Or is it just me?

Hedy
06-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Honestly, I think it's an Internet wide phenomenon these days. I think a combination of the economy in the toilet, the heat and allergies are making everyone pissy, so they figure if they can't say anything nice, they say it on the Internet. Additionally, I know a Vegas forum I'm on mentioned there volume is down b/c of fewer people going away, I think this might be effecting the DIS' numbers as well.
I myself actually got into a hysterical 'net pile on Hedy last night on a hair forum. You wish I was joking.

fourfoxesinpa
06-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh, you should "hear" the posters over at Flyer Talk. It's a very good site to get travel/frequent flyer/hotel rewards information, but, man - are they snarky! The majority of the posters on that site are male and I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or the fact that it's a very large site, or the reasons that Heather said, but I don't post there often just to avoid drama.

I sure hope, Hedy, that you weren't busting on my killer mullet! If so, you deserve everything you got over there. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hedy
06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, you should "hear" the posters over at Flyer Talk. It's a very good site to get travel/frequent flyer/hotel rewards information, but, man - are they snarky! The majority of the posters on that site are male and I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or the fact that it's a very large site, or the reasons that Heather said, but I don't post there often just to avoid drama.

I sure hope, Hedy, that you weren't busting on my killer mullet! If so, you deserve everything you got over there. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yeah, I just started lurking on Flyertalk....:rotfl:

Apparently methods of cutting hair are serious business. As is the fact that I have the audacity to (gasp!) like my hair when it's straight (I wear it curly 99% of the time, but the sylist straightened it when I got it cut). Who knew?

fourfoxesinpa
06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Say it isn't so!!! The horror!!! :rotfl:

Magical JenK
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
The Dis has had negative people over there for a long time...I rarely post over there anymore, mostly just lurk...there was a large thread over there that had a whole lotta people upset because the woman said adults shouldn't be allowed to ride Dumbo...sometimes I think people just post things to really get a rise out of those who are on it.

I still go over there, but not as often as here. I like it here...it's warm & fuzzy! :hugs:

Hedy-how DARE you?! ;0)

Hedy
06-09-2008, 01:28 PM
What was really funny was that I said "It doesn't work for a lot of people here, but it works for me.." never knew people could figure out my hair over the net without a picture.

Magical JenK
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
What was really funny was that I said "It doesn't work for a lot of people here, but it works for me.." never knew people could figure out my hair over the net without a picture.

My question is...why is it ANY of their concern what you do with YOUR hair? :confused: That's funny to me.

disney_girl
06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah, it can get ugly over there sometimes! Someone asked opinions on double strollers to use on their upcoming trip. We had just returned from WDW using a new double stroller that I loved. I gave my opinions on it and answered their questions. However, another poster started posting and slamming my "opinions". Just really rude and weird. Oh well- guess they had nothing better to do!

Hedy
06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
My question is...why is it ANY of their concern what you do with YOUR hair? :confused: That's funny to me.

I'd posted about getting my haircut, asking for tips, I did a follow-up thank you post, and mentioned it.

Yeah, I'm still amused.

Sorry for threadjacking, Moosebrains.

m4travels
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, for the "no pixie dust" forum you've GOT to check out the Transportation Board. I sit back and watch the fireworks fly on that board.

Now, I actually do like some of the frequent flyers who do offer hard, often smack-you-in-the-face advice about how one will NOT get far in life by treating airline employees with the contempt that some wish to dish out. I actually start my day off - after coming on SR and the forum - by reading that forum. Makes my day, sort of.......

fourfoxesinpa
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Yup - guaranteed fireworks:

Budget Board - Tax Refund or No Tax Refund, that is the question
Cruise Board - Can I wear jeans to dinner?
Budget Board - I am 35K in credit card debt but I still am going to DW
Cruise Board - Can I save a lounge chair by the pool?
Cruise Board - Can my toddler in diapers go in the Mickey Pool?

Just sit back and watch the drama whenever any of these are posted. :rotfl:

arob414
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Yup - guaranteed fireworks:

Budget Board - Tax Refund or No Tax Refund, that is the question
Cruise Board - Can I wear jeans to dinner?
Budget Board - I am 35K in credit card debt but I still am going to DW
Cruise Board - Can I save a lounge chair by the pool?
Cruise Board - Can my toddler in diapers go in the Mickey Pool?

Just sit back and watch the drama whenever any of these are posted. :rotfl:

Ya know, there are days it is better than tv. :D Sometimes I just read the controversial ones for a laugh. And, I love the little smilie where the person is sitting at computer eating popcorn and watching. That could be me, except I usually have a cup of coffee in my hand.

disney_girl
06-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Yes, it does prove to be entertaining. And you forgot about the refill mug controversy!

chipndale
06-09-2008, 11:42 PM
It does make for some interesting reading! :rotfl: It is hard for me to believe that I used to post over there alot. I am glad that I found SR - it is so much better.

arob414
06-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Yes, it does prove to be entertaining. And you forgot about the refill mug controversy!

Gonna drink my coffee in my refill mug, tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep it nice for the next trip.:rotfl:

SunshineGirl
06-10-2008, 01:01 AM

I didn't know that they were a contraversy! I have a whole cabinet full of them. They are my favorite thing to drink out of. I don't think I even want to know what you could argue about them....

svwkirby
06-10-2008, 07:11 AM
I didn't know that they were a contraversy! I have a whole cabinet full of them. They are my favorite thing to drink out of. I don't think I even want to know what you could argue about them....

Haven't been posting here much lately, but I can answer this one....even if you don't want to know. :p

The big debate on refillable mugs is "Can I take my mug from last vacation and resort when I return this time? Is it still good?" So and so told me when they bought their mug that it's good for the life of the mug..." And it goes on and on and on.

MooseBrains
06-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I just wondered when the rest of the internet world became the moral police! I am so busy with my life and the economy that I don't even have time to judge others.

I just feel like posting get a F life and stop worrying about what others are doing. Sorry about the swearing. I don't because even that would cause problems. So I post very direct questions about resorts, DVC and that is it.

SunshineGirl
06-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Haven't been posting here much lately, but I can answer this one....even if you don't want to know. :p

The big debate on refillable mugs is "Can I take my mug from last vacation and resort when I return this time? Is it still good?" So and so told me when they bought their mug that it's good for the life of the mug..." And it goes on and on and on.

Oh, geez. The moral dilemma. LOL!

iluvamystery89
06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
my other favorite (aside from the infamous mug debate) is when ppl ask about taking food and snacks into the park-most others will post helpful hints about what THEY took into the park when they went, but you'll always have 1 or 2 who have to be snarky and say "if you need to take your own food into the park, maybe you really can't afford to go to disney."

fourfoxesinpa
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
my other favorite (aside from the infamous mug debate) is when ppl ask about taking food and snacks into the park-most others will post helpful hints about what THEY took into the park when they went, but you'll always have 1 or 2 who have to be snarky and say "if you need to take your own food into the park, maybe you really can't afford to go to disney."

And I also take my own snacks/soda can to the movies. Maybe that how we CAN afford to go to Disney as often as we're lucky enough to. :o

iluvamystery89
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
And I also take my own snacks/soda can to the movies. Maybe that how we CAN afford to go to Disney as often as we're lucky enough to. :o

exactly, lol, what's the big deal? so someone takes a granola bar or a piece of fruit inside the park-they've already spent a fortune on park tickets and accomodations, so what's the harm? i've done it before, lol, and i take food into the movies too (although i admit i sneak a few bites of DH's popcorn as well, lol). i tend to take a snack everywhere i go, b/c i have low blood sugar.

linanglab
06-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I still lurk over on the Dis. They do have a wealth of knowledge and info. It is the personal opinions of some people that I could do without. I know I mentioned it before here on SR, but when I asked a question about options for where a family of 5 can stay inexpensively (we would rather spend money on other things than a room - we don't mind...and actually enjoy...small sleeping quarters - it is part of the fun for us!) I was told that I should have only had 2 children and that I didn't think through the family thing and I made poor choices with having 3 kids. They said that "you are stuck with your decision and to deal with it".

There were some nicer people. I just thought that WDW should have more mod options, like POR, for families of 5 (actually, I still do). This was when I just got the Disney bug, and didn't realize all the ins and outs of Disney. A newbie. They were not very kind.

Now I read for entertainment for the most part. I will chime in periodically if I think I can help someone.

chipndale
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
On one of our trips I had a whole bag of granola bars and misc snack foods for my son. It was a time that my son was eating every 2 hours or less and I was not about to have to stand in line to get him a snack, let alone pay Disneys prices! When we went through security the guard made the comment that atleast there are still some moms that use their brain.

askomsky
06-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Same here! And exactly! My kids appreciate going to the movies more often if I run over to Target and buy the $1 candy.... :)

On one of our trips I had a whole bag of granola bars and misc snack foods for my son. It was a time that my son was eating every 2 hours or less and I was not about to have to stand in line to get him a snack, let alone pay Disneys prices! When we went through security the guard made the comment that atleast there are still some moms that use their brain.

That happened to me too. When we were walking into MGM, he saw the uncrustables on top (girls are picky eater but love PBJ) and said, well at least you thought ahead. I said yeah they don't like a lot of food and at least I know I have something for them. He said yeah and it's cheaper too!

MooseBrains
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I always pack a new bottle of Tanqueray Ten when we go to WDW. I just love a G&T at the end of the day but don't want to pay $18 after tip to have 1 drink.

It is saving for disney and finding ways to cut costs that allow us to go back. There is a new thread right now about the refillable mug.

Truly, is not life so hard already? Why not just be kind and support others rather than ripping them down? Ok, of my box now.

arob414
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Just hit $Store, we are headed to movies, this afternoon. For yrs, I carried a juice cup for DD10, at our local theater, because she doesn't drink soda. Our new theater offers PowerAde so I get her that.

I was told that I should have only had 2 children and that I didn't think through the family thing and I made poor choices with having 3 kids. They said that "you are stuck with your decision and to deal with it".

That is just plain mean. I would have had 3 children if I had 1. a husband and 2. started earlier. I think people like that are just not happy and are jealous that others are.

DD10 eats like every couple hrs, in the past I always carried snacks. I think she lived on Cheese Its, the first trip (she was 2). We ate our sitdown meal mid day and she was always asleep in her stroller. This trip I carried fruit drink single packs to add to water. There aren't many options for a non soda drinker. I loved the small bottles of water, they fit her baggallini well. I commented to my friend, this yr, that Disney seems to be more cost aware because they tell you what size containers you can bring. It seemed like they were getting that money it tight, if families can save money, in some ways, they are more likely to go and it is a win-win situation for all.

Ya'll forgot the animal towel controversy. We got two, didn't take pictures, but we did bring ours home. I read enough spots, on the Dis, that said it was OK with Disney.

I do like the Dis for all the stuff I learned that was a big help and of course, for leading me here. :sunshine: Yes, I am off, talkative and not doing what I should be doing.

iluvamystery89
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Just hit $Store, we are headed to movies, this afternoon. For yrs, I carried a juice cup for DD10, at our local theater, because she doesn't drink soda. Our new theater offers PowerAde so I get her that.

That is just plain mean. I would have had 3 children if I had 1. a husband and 2. started earlier. I think people like that are just not happy and are jealous that others are.

DD10 eats like every couple hrs, in the past I always carried snacks. I think she lived on Cheese Its, the first trip (she was 2). We ate our sitdown meal mid day and she was always asleep in her stroller. This trip I carried fruit drink single packs to add to water. There aren't many options for a non soda drinker. I loved the small bottles of water, they fit her baggallini well. I commented to my friend, this yr, that Disney seems to be more cost aware because they tell you what size containers you can bring. It seemed like they were getting that money it tight, if families can save money, in some ways, they are more likely to go and it is a win-win situation for all.

Ya'll forgot the animal towel controversy. We got two, didn't take pictures, but we did bring ours home. I read enough spots, on the Dis, that said it was OK with Disney.

I do like the Dis for all the stuff I learned that was a big help and of course, for leading me here. :sunshine: Yes, I am off, talkative and not doing what I should be doing.

haha i'd forgotten the great towel animal debate! the most recent thread was full of ppl who said the maids TOLD them to take the towel animals home and of course you have the ones who insist it's sooooooo illegal, lol. in my DD's 4 trips to wdw she's received ONE towel animal (a dog's head made from a washcloth) and yes, we brought it home-it managed to survive until about a month ago, lol.

Magical JenK
06-10-2008, 02:01 PM

I usually bring water & an apple to the parks. Only once did a guard say anything to me & it was, "ooooh becareful w/this (the apple), the witch may give it to Snow White to eat!" :p

chipndale
06-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I usually bring water & an apple to the parks. Only once did a guard say anything to me & it was, "ooooh becareful w/this (the apple), the witch may give it to Snow White to eat!" :p

Oh that is a good comment. I love when the guards are in a good mood! :)

Minniehaha
07-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Did anyone mention "POOL-HOPPIN"???:eek:

nolacindy
07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
I always pack a new bottle of Tanqueray Ten when we go to WDW. I just love a G&T at the end of the day but don't want to pay $18 after tip to have 1 drink.

It is saving for disney and finding ways to cut costs that allow us to go back. There is a new thread right now about the refillable mug.

I'm with you on the drink costs! Last time we were down we both took a bottle of what we like to drink, bought the refillable mugs. DH is a smoker (the smoking/nonsmoking threads are always fun to read on the Dis) so we would sit down at the smoking section (they've got a great one at Allstar Moviess) with our brought from home booze and run in and refill at the coke station, nothing like a cheap drink! Yes we did buy a new mug for the trip. Some people thought it was a great idea others just looked at us like we were crazy.