Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 49 days to go - time to work on my costume!

Hey neighbor!! We live in Michigan too!

You are much more talented with the whole sewing thing then I could ever be!! I can barely do a hem! Just not something I ever learned, it would be useful though, especially around Halloween time!

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad I will keeping sending lots of your way so that this is the best trip ever!!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

wdwabby is offline I'm like the MacGyver of crafting - I'll figure something out!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    Hey neighbor!! We live in Michigan too!

You are much more talented with the whole sewing thing then I could ever be!! I can barely do a hem! Just not something I ever learned, it would be useful though, especially around Halloween time!

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad I will keeping sending lots of your way so that this is the best trip ever!!

Howdy! I'm in Grand Blanc, the parents are in Port Huron - where are you?

and thanks! My mom always had me in various sewing classes each summer when I was younger, learned how to make all sorts of things: patchwork pillows, t-shirt, pull on shorts, a duffel bag, a jean apron, so on and so forth. She thought it was important for me to learn. I'm glad that she had me do it. I mostly do quilting now when I have time, but have made a couple stuffed animals for friends that have had babies. I like sewing, but there are definitely times where it gets frustrating!

and thanks for the good thoughts for my dad. He has good days and bad days with all the various things, so we're really hoping he does well with the trip.
    Sunshine Rewards
    Joined 6/1/07 Sunshining my way back to WDW ... one penny at a time!

We are over near Ann Arbor. And you're mom was right, it is a good skill to have!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

wdwabby is offline I'm like the MacGyver of crafting - I'll figure something out!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    We are over near Ann Arbor. And you're mom was right, it is a good skill to have!
    cool, you're not too far from me then
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by wdwabby View Post
    Thanks! I think I'm pleased with it, at least for the most part. My mom and I sew quite a bit, but not much in the way of apparel sewing - this little baby involved quite a bit of pattern modification (The collar was not included in the shirt pattern and the dress was actually supposed to be a button front and we turned it into a zippered back w/ inset zipper - that was hard!) I'm going back to my parents next weekend (the 3rd - 5th) because my best friend will be in town to see her parents (we live in Michigan, bff lives in Texas so I don't see her much) and I'll be able to finish it then. The hemming won't take long at all, but I need to pull up some screenshots from the movie to determine how much I need to shorten it.

and it does feel good to pay for the party - my parents haven't asked for much of me for the trip (just a $500 contribution, which we all know for a Disney vacation isn't that much) so it feels really good to do something nice in return and be able to contribute. My dad has worked really hard to put together a number of surprises, mostly for my mom since I was able to figure some of them out don't accidently drop hints and expect me not to Google my way to the answer! I think it's going to be really important to make this trip as special as possible. My dad's health is not doing well at all and we just recently found out that he has macular degeneration in his left eye, and there's no telling how quickly that will advance So we're very excited and I can't wait to hand over my hard earned GCs thanks to SR : )
    VERY CUTE...you are coming along. You will have to take pictures of you wearing it!! I am still debating about dressing up. I just don't think that my DH will do it.

Sounds like a special trip for your family. Make the best of it!! My dear grandmother had the macular degeneration and it was sad.

I love your dress!! Sure wish I could sew because buying those adult dresses is so spendy. GOOD FOR YOU! Are you a brunette?
    <Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by schachteles View Post
    VERY CUTE...you are coming along. You will have to take pictures of you wearing it!! I am still debating about dressing up. I just don't think that my DH will do it.

Sounds like a special trip for your family. Make the best of it!! My dear grandmother had the macular degeneration and it was sad.
    I say dress up - my parents are as well - the way we see it is that there are very few places where adults can kinda let loose and be a kid again and enjoy a holiday like Halloween. It seems like everything will be so festive and decorated that it just can't help but be even FUNNER dressed up! (and yes, I busted out funner, it seemed like an appropriate time!)

maybe if he doesn't want to dress up fully, you can do fun t-shirts? I know on the MNSSHP threads on the DIS, Jack Sparrow seems to be popular among the adult male set. No matter what, it'll be a blast!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonfamily4 View Post
    I love your dress!! Sure wish I could sew because buying those adult dresses is so spendy. GOOD FOR YOU! Are you a brunette?
    Thank you! I did pretty well on the cost of my "supplies" - the blue fabric came at the high price of $1/yard at Wal-Mart! My most expensive fabric was the fabric for the blouse (which I also used for the apron) because it was actual "shirting" fabric *shrug* it sewed up nicely at least!

and I am indeed a brunette, but will need to buy a hair extension piece since I chopped off my hair in some sort of partial life crisis/need to not have long college-party hair anymore sort of thing a couple months ago ... other than that the only thing I don't have going for me is the eyes - mine are blue, hers are brownish/greenish/hazel.

I actually decided to make it because I couldn't find the blue dress anywhere! I had considered doing her yellow gown, but didn't like the pre-made options and to do it correctly, it would have been too poofy to fly with, so the blue dress won out.
    Sunshine Rewards

We did MNSSHP last year and it was so much fun. I think we had a better time because we dressed up.

I did it really cheap too:

We were the Incredibles family. Got the shirts at the disney store and just wore black shorts and bought black masks.

The pictures were a scream!
    Sunshine Rewards

You did a great job on the costume. I'm sure ya'll will have a great time.

Have you seen the children's custom/boutique clothing thread on the family board? I've been following it since the beginning and it has morphed into clothes adults are making, too. It's bee a lot of fun watching it.
    Eva ::: who loves funding my Disney obsession::: DH ::: who just shakes his head because he really doesn't get it::: ::: and a princess and pixie of our own:::

Sunshine Rewards