Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Vacationers

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I first caught wind of this on the Dis but they kept referring to the allearsnet newsletter and that's when I saw it in print. I think next trip we will be doing more character meals/buffets which will allow us to do appetizers, entrees, and desserts. I'm sure that strategy will not maximize the plan for us but for us its more about seeing the characters and trying new things out.
    Sunshine Rewards

We've never used the DDP because we just didn't think it was worth it for just the 2 of us. We never eat that much food. We usually stay at OKW and have a late breakfast in the room, a salad for lunch and then dinner.

We do use the Disney Dining Experience where we get 20% off any TS meal. That has been great and has worked for us.

I think that Disney is making a mistake by not including the tip. The servers are going to be the ones to suffer. Many people tend NOT to tip what they should......when you offer a special or give a discount. Happens for our staff all the time.

Maybe if you set aside Disney gift cards to use for meals or tips, that will help your dining budget.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Magical JenK View Post
    Yeah, I just read the allearsnet blog about the changes. Hmmm...here's my big complaint...I LOVE appetizers! If I could make a meal out of apps & desserts I would!! I wish instead of getting rid of them all together, perhaps they could say for every 2 people you get 1 app or 1 app for the table? I don't know...I will just miss my apps in the plan. Or maybe they could say your choice of app or dessert...that way it's just one or the other not both?? Like I said, I love my apps so this really bums me out & for sure I could pay OOP, but I don't know...this plan really makes me have to do a lot of math!! :0)

But I think I like my idea best....either your choice of app or dessert....I'd rather have apps most days anyway...dang....who do you think I could call to give my suggestion?? :0)

I like your plan better too, that way I can get an app and DH can get a dessert and then we can share.

I like apps better too and at least that way the plan would be giving more flexibility.

I also think the servers will suffer with the tip change, alot of people are cheap tippers especially when they are spending alot on a vacation. Also alot of foreign guests are not aware of the tipping customs in the US, so the automatic tip took care of that problem.

I guess we will wait and see
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    I like your plan better too, that way I can get an app and DH can get a dessert and then we can share.

I like apps better too and at least that way the plan would be giving more flexibility.

I also think the servers will suffer with the tip change, alot of people are cheap tippers especially when they are spending alot on a vacation. Also alot of foreign guests are not aware of the tipping customs in the US, so the automatic tip took care of that problem.

I guess we will wait and see
    Thanks!! EXACTLY what I was thinking...share!! Still get what you want & don't feel like you're missing out!!
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Quote Originally Posted by Magical JenK View Post
    Thanks!! EXACTLY what I was thinking...share!! Still get what you want & don't feel like you're missing out!!

Yeah, it will help my hips, thighs, and butt too!! Honestly, I can't believe the amount of food! I know I don't need an app, entree, and dessert but you know I order them all!!! It's included, I can't NOT order it!

So I think app or dessert for each TS credit is the best option, especially considering that there are many people (strange but true) who NEVER eat dessert. (Shudder )
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    Yeah, it will help my hips, thighs, and butt too!! Honestly, I can't believe the amount of food! I know I don't need an app, entree, and dessert but you know I order them all!!! It's included, I can't NOT order it!

So I think app or dessert for each TS credit is the best option, especially considering that there are many people (strange but true) who NEVER eat dessert. (Shudder )
    Oooh...we think the same way! Well, it comes WITH it why would I turn it down!!
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Well if that change does happen, it sure takes the value out of the plan. We are doing it for our first time, I know it is going to be WAY too much food, but I am going to enjoy it while I can. Typically we don't stay on property, so this is a fun change and hopefully they won't make the change, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did.

I agree with others, give people a choice of app or dessert...then people can share.

And the tip thing is a BAD idea. The servers are the only ones that will get hit...but heck Disney will be making more $$.

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

We're basically WDW newbies having been out on the west coast and going to D'land for years. Because of available vacation time we're really not able to spend more than a few days at WDW because we've been tacking it onto the end of DCL cruises. Now, because of our short visits to WDW the DDP worked out great last time HOWEVER I truly believe it's because we're only two people. We both enjoy our food and drink and ate like kings (DON'T go there!!!). We made out like bandits food-wise. Sure, we paid for our drinks and wine, but we do like to eat and the plan was perfect for us. If we had youngsters/picky teens with us, I think I would find it very difficult to justify the cost for them.

I actually like the thought of the deluxe plan as well as the additional wine package, but I would never do it for a stay of 10 days, that's for sure! We'll see if the rumor comes to fruition.

As far as the tip, I will continue to tip as we do. There's always talk of many others not following tipping guidelines, but do we really know that's true? There will be some, of course, who won't (my Aunt Bertha will NOT be joining us on this next trip!) but that happens in real world outside of WDW too. I know I'm not the norm (STOP SNICKERING!!!) but I'd be very interested in these versions.
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

For my family of 2 adults, 1 disney adult (10), and 1 child I made a spreadsheet today (go ahead, call me a geek!) listing where we wanted to eat (that wouldn't change whether or not we do the DDP), what I thought we would have if we were paying OOP: sharing 3 meals amongst the 4 of us, 1-2 desserts max with dinner and none at lunch, 1 appy for the table if not a buffet, beverages only about half the time... in other words trying really hard to be conservative and spend a minimum amount, plus tax & average of 15% tip. I also included 1 snack per person for 2 of 5 days only @ an average of $3.25.

Cost of above scenario: ~$700
    Cost of DDP plus 15% tip on what I thought we'd eat: ~$690

So still, it saves money and we won't have to worry about who is ordering what or if someone doesn't want to share or wants his or her own dessert. We will get the MYW with Dining (or whatever it will be called) even if the rumored changes are true.