Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinning Plan 2008

We wouldn't do the dining plan with the changes. We did it for half of our trip this past month, and while we really like the convienience of it, and being able to eat at places we normally wouldn't, I just cannot justify the cost of it when you add on the gratuity and take away the appetizer. For us I think it will work out much better to do what we did for the second half of the vacation....save up as many Disney GC's as possible from SR and use them towards our meals. This may actually work to our benefit bacause we might actually take advantage of the teacher discount at the Swan/Dolphin next time we go and get away with staying for a little bit less as well. This would also allow us to buy our tickets ahead instead of with the plan, which would also save us money.

So all in all, while we like(ed) the dining plan, and I'm really not happy about the changes, they actually will probably save us money in the long run.
    Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

Quote Originally Posted by m4travels View Post
    I would absolutely love the deluxe plan and would love to hear Janet's thoughts on it once it's been utilized. If wine can be added that would even make my day (or night!) that much better.

While at home all I have for breakfast is a cup of coffee. Once I'm at work I'll have another cup. That's it until lunch. However, on vacation breakfast is a requirement. If we're at our spot south of the border we either walk into town, cook in the timeshare, or head down to the restaurant onsite for breakfast daily. I'm not svelte by any means but not bulging at the seams either, but I do find that even when eating like this on vacation I've never gained weight (STOP LAUGHING, IT'S TRUE!!!!).

We're going to go with the DDE card for the next 2 visits (Dec '07 and Sept '08) and then possibly try the deluxe plan, if it's available, for one of our trips in '09. It won't be our January trip that year as that's going to be 20-some people (WHY did I invite all the siblings?????) but I'm sure we'll try and fit another one in sometime!
    Yanno, I have seen that they have a wine pairings package that can be added for the Deluxe Dining plan. I believe I saw it at 39.99 a day. I am not really sure what that includes but I would assume at least one bottle of wine per day.
    Sunshine Rewards

That better be some SPECTACULAR wine, for $40.00!!!
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I would love to do the delux plan just to have more character meals but I don't think I have the time to do all of that. I'd never use 2 TS meals every day there and I don't think I"d breakeven if I did 2 CS and 1 TS a day. It just seems like an exorbinate amount of food to try and eat in one week. I'd like to try it once like Janet was saying just for kicks. Who knows. If my reward program earnings continue the way they are going I might consider it.
    Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    That better be some SPECTACULAR wine, for $40.00!!!
    Restaurant wine cellars will tend to be on the high side, much higher than what you would get in, say, your local grocery store, liquor store, or big box store.

That being said, they will also have wines that I cannot get in some of my local places. We definitely enjoy wine (amongst other adult beverages!) and that's really not a bad price at all. I know I won't be getting Opus 1 for that price, but there should be some decent offerings!
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    Yanno, I have seen that they have a wine pairings package that can be added for the Deluxe Dining plan. I believe I saw it at 39.99 a day. I am not really sure what that includes but I would assume at least one bottle of wine per day.
    Right, that's what I was talking about. It's one bottle of wine per room per night. Then we'd only have to buy one additional bottle per day!!
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Default I booked the 2008 dining plan

I don't know who broke it down on the DIS or how they did it, but here are my own un-scientific findings based on the allears.net menus...

We would do 1 TS everyday regardless of whether we get the DDP so that isn't a factor, and would also do 1 CS and bring granola bars or the like for breakfast in the room, so the DDP really fits our family. I figured out "what it should cost" for our upcoming trip using the following notes regarding sharing, etc. -- all figures include tax & tip:

Ohana -- 3 Disney adults & 1 child $112 {family style, still get appys, drinks & desserts)
    Electric Umbrella -- 3 combos, 1 kids meal, no desserts $34
    San Angel Inn -- 2 combos, 1 kids meal, 1 appy, 1 dessert, 1 beverage $91
    Flametree BBQ -- 2 plates, 1 fries or rings, 4 drinks, no desserts $32
    Boma -- 3 Disney adults & 1 child $105 {buffet, still get appys, drinks & desserts}
    Pecos Bills -- 3 combos, 1 kids meal, 4 beverages, no desserts $36
    WCC -- 3 skillets, 1 kids meal, 2 desserts, no beverages $104 {salad & cornbread part of skillet}
    Pizza Planet -- 2 combo meals w/salad, 2 indiv pizzas, 3 beverages, no dessert $35
    and a total of 8 snacks for 4 of us to share over the the 4 days $25

Total: ~$574

The DDP plus tips will cost us ~$546 for 3 disney adults and 1 child, so we are still saving around $28 without having to scrimp, share, worry about prices, or deny anyone desserts. And that $28 can be used for a couple of appetizers at San Angel Inn or something else at WCC if we really need the extra food.

Hope this helps someone!

I am not happy with the new plan but we will be getting it. We will probably come out a little bit ahead. I would prefer appetizers rather than dessert. I would rather not get the plan but DH really wants the convenience of the meals being prepaid. We know we will still be paying for some stuff out of pocket (like that Lapu Lapu ) but most if it will be payed for beforehand and he likes that.
    Sunshine Rewards

I can't believe I just did this, but after reading everything I could find about the new plan, I mentioned to DH that we could eat EVERYWHERE we wanted to if we did the deluxe plan and he was all over it so I just booked 4 nights at the Poly in January with deluxe dining!

Here are the ADR's I hope to get when I call in the morning:

Kona Cafe Lunch
    Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show (2)
    Coral Reef Lunch
    LeCellier Dinner
    'Ohana Breakfast
    Boma Dinner
    CRT Lunch (2)
    WCC Dinner
    Kona Cafe Breakfast
    Sci Fi Lunch

It's a little extravagent, but we love table service meals and hate all the line-waiting just to eat so this will eliminate that. Plus now the appy's are included, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dog2kidmom View Post
    Plus now the appy's are included, LOL!

Are the Appy's only included on the Deluxe or are the back on the normal plan as well?
    -NOn DisBoards
    Next WDW: POP 09.04-14.08 & Free Dining
    Past WDW: 04.01, ASMO 07.05, 09.05, 09.06, 09.07.