Thread: windows firewall?

Default windows firewall?

Hi all! I'm hoping someone can help. I'm having a terrible time with offers crediting lately and I've searched and searched for what could be blocking them. Daily surveys, supermember surveys, and OTX are crediting. However, I can't seem to get any freebie offers to credit.

I've done all of the usual cookie cleaning, etc, but nothing helps.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm running a firewall and don't know it? I've read that windows comes with a firewall but I can't seem to find one on my machine. I'm using windows XP and IE6. Can anyone help me find the windows firewall to see if it is turned on?
    Debbie

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I would also like to know because I seem to be having the same issues with most offers not crediting but I use Visa and IE. Even using a new email does not help?
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

First thing I would do is update to IE 7, I really do think that helps with all windows updates.

What other firewall/virus are you using? Sometimes your internet provider provides free service/ At one point I had McAfee thru Verizon and the Norton that came with the laptop.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I would also like to know because I seem to be having the same issues with most offers not crediting but I use Visa and IE. Even using a new email does not help?
    I finally found it under start menu - 'control panel' - 'security center'. Not sure if it is the same on Vista though. Mine was turned on, so I turned it off and tried a fast crediting offer but I still didn't get credit so I guess that isn't the problem. New emails aren't helping for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by askomsky View Post
    First thing I would do is update to IE 7, I really do think that helps with all windows updates.

What other firewall/virus are you using? Sometimes your internet provider provides free service/ At one point I had McAfee thru Verizon and the Norton that came with the laptop.
    I probably should break down and switch to IE7. I usually don't like messing with my settings but since I'm having problems with credits anyway, I guess I have nothing to lose!

Other than the windows firewall, I'm using the free version of AVG. I haven't had a freebie offer credit since 12/18 which is very unusual for me so I've been trying to find out if something got changed on my computer. I did find some cookies that were being blocked which I have no idea how they got on that list so I thought that was the problem, but nope, not the problem either.

I also picked up a nasty trojan yesterday but the plus side of that is that I had to do some massive cleanup on my computer. Thankfully, with the help of a computer geek friend of mine, my system is now clean. I was really hoping this would help with credits, but apparently not.

I'm guessing at this point that it must be an IP addy thing since I can't find anything wrong with my settings.

I'll just have to stick with surveys for now. Hopefully greenfield will come back tomorrow and load lots more!
    Debbie

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
    I finally found it under start menu - 'control panel' - 'security center'. Not sure if it is the same on Vista though. Mine was turned on, so I turned it off and tried a fast crediting offer but I still didn't get credit so I guess that isn't the problem. New emails aren't helping for me either.

I probably should break down and switch to IE7. I usually don't like messing with my settings but since I'm having problems with credits anyway, I guess I have nothing to lose!

Other than the windows firewall, I'm using the free version of AVG. I haven't had a freebie offer credit since 12/18 which is very unusual for me so I've been trying to find out if something got changed on my computer. I did find some cookies that were being blocked which I have no idea how they got on that list so I thought that was the problem, but nope, not the problem either.

I also picked up a nasty trojan yesterday but the plus side of that is that I had to do some massive cleanup on my computer. Thankfully, with the help of a computer geek friend of mine, my system is now clean. I was really hoping this would help with credits, but apparently not.

I'm guessing at this point that it must be an IP addy thing since I can't find anything wrong with my settings.

I'll just have to stick with surveys for now. Hopefully greenfield will come back tomorrow and load lots more!
    I remember a few months ago windows ran an update when I was still on my desktop with XP and it changed my settings i.e cookies back to default not where I had them and at that time I had to go and change my cookie settings everytime I logged in/opened a new browser, so something definitely could have happened, I would update IE and make sure you have the latest just to be on the safe side.
    Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I have IE7 and the free McAfee from Comcast, my cookies are all set properly to accept first and third parties and to allow session cookies...I can't think of anything else it could be. I just get really surprised and excited when something does credit!! I'll just keep plugging along I guess.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES