Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you pay for WDW?

We went to cash about a year ago. Not only does it help stay on our budget but it gives us lots of change. All change goes into the jars. The kids are so excited to see us start new jars when they get full!

(Also I occassionaly go through all envelopes, with our cash, and take out dollar bills. I put them into a seperate area for Christmas.)

We also use SR and Disney Visa. Though we don't use the visa that much so it isn't that much. But enough to buy some FOOD!

But I guess the majority comes from Hubby's job.
    <Sunshine Rewards

We pay for every possible thing with our Disney Visa and pay the account in full each month. We're lucky in that DH travels a lot for work and is allowed to use his personal charge card to rack up the rewards. Plus, his hotel is a SR partner, so that helps build the SR account. AND he can accumulate enough hotel points to stay at a hotel free, if we decide we'd rather stay free off property. Plus, we have adjusted his payroll so we don't get a big tax refund - now the extra $ comes in his paycheck and we stick it in the bank. It's nice to have that extra interest to take along as play money.

People just don't believe me when I tell them it costs us less to go to Disney for a week than it does to visit the Jersey Shore in the summer.
    Sunshine Rewards

I live at the Jersey shore. It's cheaper to go to Disney,believe me!

Here's my "savings" for our trip in April....

1) Food: $600 budget ($215 for DDP and $385 OOP)
    --> $150 in Disney Visa Rewards
    --> $50 in Discover Card Cashback
    --> $180 (and counting!) in Sunshine Rewards
    --> $125 in Landry's Gift Cards from "another" site
    ===> TOTAL: $505 out of $600 is FREE! (That's 84% off!)
    2) Lodging: 4 nights off-site (on the road and arrival night in Orlando)
    --> $12.50 for first night on the road (topped off my Marriott Rewards account to "pay" for the night) Cash price: $82
    --> $20* for the second night on the road (cashed in for a $75 Marriott Gift Card from "another" site) Cash Price: $95
    --> $80* for our arrival night in Orlando (splitting a suite 50/50 with my parents)
    --> $100* for one night on the road for our return trip
    *Indicates that the amount will be REIMBURSED from my $300 in American Express Travel Rewards
    ===> TOTAL: $12.50 out of $357 is FREE! (That's 97% off!)

Let me add that we have AP's from last year and we are staying 5 nights at the AKV on our DVC points so I did not have to put that in the budget. I also do the $50 per paycheck into the vacation account. Any pop bottles that we return (and it's a LOT....about 30-40 a week) for the deposit refund goes into the vacation account too.

We are driving down from Michigan with my parents and we are splitting the gas costs 50/50. Currently, I am budgeting gas to be $3.50/gallon so I'm looking at a fuel budget for us of about $350. I've also budgeted $200 for our meals on the road. We usually stick to fast food or hit the cooler for snacks.

So, for a 9-night (total) trip for my family of 4, we have a budget of about $1600. Of that $1600, I have accumulated $750 in FREE money/incentives! That is 47% of our vacation....paid for with someone else's money. My friends don't believe me when I tell them that I am going to Florida (WDW) for a total of 9 nights OVER EASTER and I am spending under $1000 for our family of 4 and staying ONSITE!
    Last edited by kristenrice; 03-02-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by secretmoney View Post
    I live at the Jersey shore. It's cheaper to go to Disney,believe me!
    Where are you? We're in Old Bridge, but spend a lot of the summer at the beach
    Dorothy

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by luvdisney00 View Post
    We have a cottage in Cape May County.
    Sunshine Rewards

SR and Disney Visa are a big saver. I also teach at night for extra pay and all of that goes into my Disney Fund. The Disney fund has turned into a Universal Fund this year. We do have a free Give a Day voucher for Disney, so I can get my Disney fix.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by luvdisney00 View Post
    Tinton Falls, I'm so excited to have Sunshiners near me!

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    We have a cottage in Cape May County.
    It's so nice down that way. We'll be in Wildwood for a week in July for my daughter's dance competition.

Quote Originally Posted by secretmoney View Post
    Tinton Falls, I'm so excited to have Sunshiners near me!
    Me too! We're practically neighbors!! I took a little break from SR and I've missed it a lot. Looking forward to getting back in the swing and earning $$ for my August Disney trip.
    Dorothy

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
    Here's my "savings" for our trip in April....

1) Food: $600 budget ($215 for DDP and $385 OOP)
    --> $150 in Disney Visa Rewards
    --> $50 in Discover Card Cashback
    --> $125 (and counting!) in Sunshine Rewards
    --> $100 in Landry's Gift Cards from "another" site
    --> $100 in AMEX travel rewards towards food that we charge to the room
    ===> TOTAL: $525 out of $600 is FREE! (That's 87% off!)
    2) Lodging: 4 nights off-site (on the road and arrival night in Orlando)
    --> $12.50 for first night on the road (topped off my Marriott Rewards account to "pay" for the night) Cash price: $82
    --> $20* for the second night on the road (cashed in for a $75 Marriott Gift Card from "another" site) Cash Price: $95
    --> $80* for our arrival night in Orlando (splitting a suite 50/50 with my parents)
    --> $100* for one night on the road for our return trip
    *Indicates that the amount will be REIMBURSED from my $300 in American Express Travel Rewards
    ===> TOTAL: $12.50 out of $357 is FREE! (That's 97% off!)

Let me add that we have AP's from last year and we are staying 5 nights at the AKV on our DVC points so I did not have to put that in the budget. I also do the $50 per paycheck into the vacation account. Any pop bottles that we return (and it's a LOT....about 30-40 a week) for the deposit refund goes into the vacation account too.

We are driving down from Michigan with my parents and we are splitting the gas costs 50/50. Currently, I am budgeting gas to be $3.50/gallon so I'm looking at a fuel budget for us of about $350. I've also budgeted $200 for our meals on the road. We usually stick to fast food or hit the cooler for snacks.

So, for a 9-night (total) trip for my family of 4, we have a budget of about $1600. Of that $1600, I have accumulated $750 in FREE money/incentives! That is 47% of our vacation....paid for with someone else's money. My friends don't believe me when I tell them that I am going to Florida (WDW) for a total of 9 nights OVER EASTER and I am spending under $1000 for our family of 4 and staying ONSITE!
    What a great financial planner!

My one indulgence was buying DVC and that is really what makes going more frequently possible for us... whether it's a solo trip like the one I have coming up in a couple of weeks or a trip with DD (23), not having to pay cash for accommodations definitely makes it easier. I use my Disney Visa points and SSR's to pay for food and extras while we're there.

I also teach on overload both the Fall and Spring semesters and that money supplements for airfare, my annual pass (DVC discount) and other expenses...

I'm in north Jersey and a lot of folks here can't believe it when I tell them I can do a week at Disney for less than a week down the shore!!
    Sunshine Rewards