Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with Children

We have flown AA and Airtran and have never been asked to show anything for the kids. But better to be prepared than not- I would take their birth certificates just to be on the safe side.

We've always flown to Orlando early morning and it has always worked out well. We end up in Orlando somewhere between 11 and noon and eat lunch when we get to the resort. Since we try to maximize our time there, we fly home in the evening. The kids are so exhausted that they typically fall asleep on the plane which makes for a quiet flight home. At his age, he'll do fine with the DVD player- just make sure it's charged up and don't forget the charger for the flight home!! And don't forget some headphones. My 2 year old was occupied with a new coloring book and stickers for the most part. Maybe a couple of new books or a new little toy.

When are you all going to tell them?? How exciting!!
    Sunshine Rewards

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    I wanted to add that my grandson will tell you his name and address. If anyone talks to my grand daughter, she'll most likely dive under a table and scream bloody murder.

Another question........how do they handle kids going through the security? Will they make them walk by themselves. Can the little one stay in the stroller? How does that work?
    The kids have to walk through security...out of the stroller. It is a lot to handle but we send one adult through...then the kids...then rest of the adults.
    Sunshine Rewards

The only passengers required by TSA to present ID are adults 18 and over. We have never been asked to present any ID for our kids, except when we went out of the country. Never on domestic flights. Security usually asks them their name but that's it. It doesn't matter which airline you fly on...the security checkpoints are run by TSA not the carriers, which is probably why Southwest wasn't very helpful. Being a member of the carrier's frequent flyer club doesn't give any advantages when going through security.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

Here is a page from the TSA that covers "traveling with children." HTH

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ren/index.shtm
    Last edited by fourfoxesinpa; 03-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I thought you had a dairy allergy??
    Mmmmm.........maybe that's why I have the allergy?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by disney_girl View Post
    We have flown AA and Airtran and have never been asked to show anything for the kids. But better to be prepared than not- I would take their birth certificates just to be on the safe side.

We've always flown to Orlando early morning and it has always worked out well. We end up in Orlando somewhere between 11 and noon and eat lunch when we get to the resort. Since we try to maximize our time there, we fly home in the evening. The kids are so exhausted that they typically fall asleep on the plane which makes for a quiet flight home. At his age, he'll do fine with the DVD player- just make sure it's charged up and don't forget the charger for the flight home!! And don't forget some headphones. My 2 year old was occupied with a new coloring book and stickers for the most part. Maybe a couple of new books or a new little toy.

When are you all going to tell them?? How exciting!!
    I'm not.....I'll leave that up to their father. It's killing me not to tell Nicholas. I remember when we went away with my kids when they were small. We never told them until the day we were leaving. I made that mistake once and they were so excited for weeks it was unbearable. Nicholas is just like his father.....he would be beside himself with excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by ligrumpygirl View Post
    The kids have to walk through security...out of the stroller. It is a lot to handle but we send one adult through...then the kids...then rest of the adults.
    Great info.....thanks Janet.

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    The only passengers required by TSA to present ID are adults 18 and over. We have never been asked to present any ID for our kids, except when we went out of the country. Never on domestic flights. Security usually asks them their name but that's it. It doesn't matter which airline you fly on...the security checkpoints are run by TSA not the carriers, which is probably why Southwest wasn't very helpful.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

Here is a page from the TSA that covers "traveling with children." HTH

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ren/index.shtm
    Excellent.....thank you Jamie!!

I KNEW you guys would be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks so much!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Hi Kathie....

the only thing ever asked of my girls was their names....never need birth certificates or passports.

Maybe since it will be just your husband and you, if there is an extra carseat at your sons house you could take it with you and check it at the gate? that way it would already be in Orlando and when you go to pick them up you can have it all set for them. Another suggestion is on your way to the airport stop off at walmart and you can get a booster for under $20 for your grandson (loads cheaper instead of renting it from the car rental company).....

just a few thoughts!

Pamela
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    I wanted to add that my grandson will tell you his name and address. If anyone talks to my grand daughter, she'll most likely dive under a table and scream bloody murder.

Another question........how do they handle kids going through the security? Will they make them walk by themselves. Can the little one stay in the stroller? How does that work?
    Like the previous poster said, the kids do have to walk through by themselves and I think the stroller has to go through the screener. We do it just like her though, where we send through an adult, then the kids, and then the rest of the adults. Not sure about your airport, but ours has a "family line" so you don't feel like you are holding up all the business travelers.

Also, I talked with my DH about the time we were asked for birth certificate and he brought up a good point. The day we were asked was the day that guy took a bomb on the plane, so I am sure security was increased on that day. Because every other time we have flown with the kids, they have only been asked their names and we have never had to show anything else for them.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards