Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Get Cash-Back for Disney Tickets

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I agree. When you factor in the difference in the ticket prices (you are being credited for the higher ticket price even if you paid the lower ticket price) and the cash back from SR it could be a pretty good savings and every penny counts in my excel spreadsheet plus it is very easy to upgrade. It can be done when you go to the park the first time. No need to make a special trip.
    Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by dwkay8 View Post
    When you upgrade to an AP it doesn't matter how many "days" you've used on the ticket. All that matters is the value of the ticket. (Going through the gates just locks in the original price you paid, preventing them from charging you the difference of what you paid vs. the current gate price.) It's hard to do the math without knowing what AP prices might be after the increase, but the overall savings will be higher when you factor in SR cash back.

We did a DVC AP upgrade like this two years ago, and I didn't find it to be too much of a hassle. We just went to a park to eat lunch when we arrived, then upgraded and continued about our day
    wow, I didn't know that...thought you had to put what was left on the ticket towards the AP. thanks.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    wow, I didn't know that...thought you had to put what was left on the ticket towards the AP. thanks.
    It's a pretty good deal, once you know how to work the system!

Here is a link to the Cash-Back chart for tickets if purchased through Mouse Unlimited. These are only good until they release the new ticket prices, however.
    Mouse Unlimited - The Ultimate Disney Travel Agency
    Mouse Unlimited | MU Forum | MU Blog | MU Twitter | MU Facebook

Tom, Will you explain how this works for DVC members??

I usually buy my vouchers online and keep them in storage until needed. The vouchers I bought last year will be activated when we go in October. The vouchers don't expire and don't have to be activated until I get to the park.

I buy 2 more vouchers close to the time (or before a price increase) I will be activating my vouchers. I always have vouchers ahead and always beat the ticket increases.

1 AP (10 +) with my DVC discount was $389. Right now a 6 day PH Non Expiry is $375.95. According to your chart, I can get $6 back per ticket on SR.

I take my ticket to the park and upgrade to a DVC AP and just pay the difference there? Am I thinking about this too much?
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

Here is my understanding of it Kathie but I am sure he will verify. You purchase through SR and MU the biggest ticket you can at the current price. You get to the parks and use the tickets to enter the park on your first day. You will then take your used tickets to customer service and upgrade them to a DVC AP and they will credit you the price at that time (which should be higher than what you actually pay because of the prices going up) not the price you actually paid towards your DVC AP. By using it in the parks it locks in the price as of the date used. This won't work if you are looking to get a voucher to hold on to and have ahead of time. These will be actual tickets not vouchers from my understanding.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    Tom, Will you explain how this works for DVC members??

I usually buy my vouchers online and keep them in storage until needed. The vouchers I bought last year will be activated when we go in October. The vouchers don't expire and don't have to be activated until I get to the park.

I buy 2 more vouchers close to the time (or before a price increase) I will be activating my vouchers. I always have vouchers ahead and always beat the ticket increases.

1 AP (10 +) with my DVC discount was $389. Right now a 6 day PH Non Expiry is $375.95. According to your chart, I can get $6 back per ticket on SR.

I take my ticket to the park and upgrade to a DVC AP and just pay the difference there? Am I thinking about this too much?
    I'm not sure how many questions I'm supposed to be answering, so bear with me

If you're asking about the strategy, it sounds like you would probably benefit more by renewing your DVC-discounted AP each year (currently at $344) rather than buying 2 new ones each year. If this isn't what you were trying to explain in the first few paragraphs, then you'll need to explain that part again

Now, if you're just wanting to buy a couple of tickets now, and then upgrade them to APs when you get to WDW, that would require a different strategy.

Today, a 6-Day PH + NoExp would actually be $390.86 (with tax and free will-call pick-up), with $6 SR cash back. The DVC Rate for an AP (today) is $389. We expect that both of these prices will increase later this week or some time next week.

With this said, you'd need to buy a less expensive ticket now, or risk it costing more than your AP, which you'd have to buy at WDW, since you wouldn't have your park-hoppers until you go there anyway, and you can only upgrade tickets at WDW.

If you can provide a few more details, I can try to walk you through the best scenario a little better. I don't think I understand your end goal clearly enough to give you the right answer, because again, it sounds like you'd be better off upgrading your APs rather than buying new ones each year (especially if they continue the 15-month program).

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    Here is my understanding of it Kathie but I am sure he will verify. You purchase through SR and MU the biggest ticket you can at the current price. You get to the parks and use the tickets to enter the park on your first day. You will then take your used tickets to customer service and upgrade them to a DVC AP and they will credit you the price at that time (which should be higher than what you actually pay because of the prices going up) not the price you actually paid towards your DVC AP. By using it in the parks it locks in the price as of the date used. This won't work if you are looking to get a voucher to hold on to and have ahead of time. These will be actual tickets not vouchers from my understanding.
    You're exactly right. If you buy tickets now and want to upgrade them to an AP later, the upgrade has to be done at a WDW ticket window, after you've used them at least once.

If the guest needs an AP now, you have to order the vouchers straight up from Disney over the phone or web, and there would be no transactions involving us, or with a MYW ticket.

Ha!! You think YOU'RE confused!!!

Now, if you're just wanting to buy a couple of tickets now, and then upgrade them to APs when you get to WDW, that would require a different strategy.
    This is what I was thinking.

Today, a 6-Day PH + NoExp would actually be $390.86 (with tax and free will-call pick-up), with $6 SR cash back. The DVC Rate for an AP (today) is $389. We expect that both of these prices will increase later this week or some time next week.

With this said, you'd need to buy a less expensive ticket now, or risk it costing more than your AP, which you'd have to buy at WDW, since you wouldn't have your park-hoppers until you go there anyway, and you can only upgrade tickets at WDW.
    I'm confused here. When I upgrade, is it to the current price of the DVC AP?
    Is the pass I'm upgrading take on the price of the current 6-day?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    I'm confused here. When I upgrade, is it to the current price of the DVC AP? Is the pass I'm upgrading take on the price of the current 6-day?
    I'm going to invent an example using round (fake) numbers so I don't confuse myself any further, LOL.

Let's say you buy a 6-Day MYW Park Hopper from us today, and it's a flat $100. Let's also assume that same ticket goes up to $110 next week. You've immediately saved yourself $10.

In February, you visit WDW and want to upgrade that ticket to an AP, which costs $200 (at that moment in time). If you don't visit the parks at all before you go to the ticket window, they will give you $100 credit for the 6-Day Park Hopper (today's price), meaning you pay $100 for the upgrade.

However, if you go into a park first, then come back out and THEN go to the ticket window, they'll give you a credit of $110 (the price of that same 6-Day Park Hopper at that moment in time), meaning you'd only pay $90 for the upgrade.

Now, if you're wanting to have vouchers in your hand now for whatever reason, this system won't work because you can only convert MYW tickets to APs at a WDW ticket window - bypassing any need for vouchers.

Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by MouseUnlimited View Post
    I'm going to invent an example using round (fake) numbers so I don't confuse myself any further, LOL.

Let's say you buy a 6-Day MYW Park Hopper from us today, and it's a flat $100. Let's also assume that same ticket goes up to $110 next week. You've immediately saved yourself $10.

In February, you visit WDW and want to upgrade that ticket to an AP, which costs $200 (at that moment in time). If you don't visit the parks at all before you go to the ticket window, they will give you $100 credit for the 6-Day Park Hopper (today's price), meaning you pay $100 for the upgrade.

However, if you go into a park first, then come back out and THEN go to the ticket window, they'll give you a credit of $110 (the price of that same 6-Day Park Hopper at that moment in time), meaning you'd only pay $90 for the upgrade.

Now, if you're wanting to have vouchers in your hand now for whatever reason, this system won't work because you can only convert MYW tickets to APs at a WDW ticket window - bypassing any need for vouchers.

Does this help?

Now I get it!!! Thanks for your patience and the explanation!!

I already have vouchers for the DVC AP for our trip in October (bought those last year) and bought 2 more today for next year. I'll have to cash them in BEFORE I go into the park. The reason I bought them ahead is that AP renewals don't work for us. There is usually 7 months between the time our AP expires and then next visit so our passes would be gathering dust. With the vouchers they are good forever. I can cash them in whenever I want and then they are good for a year.

But trying to think ahead....I may just get a couple of 5 day no expiry PH and hang onto them to use in the future.....and may talk my sister (also DVC) into doing the same thing.

Thanks again!
    ~Kathie