Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We came THIS close.....

From what I learned it can be used just about all over the world. You can use your points to go on an African Safari if you want. You can use it at hotels in New York, London all over. My CM told us they had used theirs to go on Safari.
    Did you get the BOOK and DVD?? It is blue and shows all the points systems and locations?? IF you did not get one call and ask for one. It really answered a lot of the questions we came home with! In our book it shows all the places you can go and how many points for such things.
    We were going to buy but with a child fixing to start college, it just was not reasonable at the moment for us. But we still talk about it all the time especially since we could use our points to travel overseas!
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by cglaura View Post
    I had DVC membership when married, we lived in AL and it made sense for us b/c we could drive down for alot of weekends. But I sold after the divorce. My main reason being it was only myself and DD going, we are park commandos, so only sleep and shower at the resort, and I could get 2 weeks at a value for what I was paying in annual dues, we now had flights from NJ to consider, not to mention being able to stick the money from the sale into a college fund. It made sense for me to sell. Do I miss staying at OKW? Heck yeah! Did I need all that space just to sleep and shower, nope.

I think this is my problem with it - when we go as a family, we stay in the value resorts, which are fine for our purposes, as yours, just sleeping and prepping for the next day. We're in NY so feasibly we would make 1 trip every 12-18 months or so. While I would love to always stay in larger/nicer rooms, I don't know if I can use that to justify buying in to the dvc, as much as I'd like to. I've just started looking at the dis board about the dvc - that could take me years to absorb I really appreciate hearing people's experiences!! Since my husband knew I was on the fence about it, as soon as the tour was over, he told me to go ask the "sunshine friends", since he knew I'd trust your opinions!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

We have only been DVC members since Aug 2005, but we've added on 4 times already. We purchased sight unseen (SSR) during a visit one Saturday to D'land. We had a great guide, Tommy, who knew we had other timeshares. There was absolutely no pressure whatsoever. We knew that we wanted to be able to trade out to other places at some point and we knew that we would need 160 points to do so. We did it right there. Our guide never expected that. A month or so later there was a great Friends and Family and we added on. Then we thought about staying at the Epcot resorts and knew that we had to have the 11-month window for booking especially during Food and Wine so we added on again. Then Wilderness Lodge reared its head. And somehow Old Key West made it's way into the portfolio. Now we've got the Grand California coming and while it's very close to home, it will make a VERY easy spot to put one's head down after a night of carousing in the parks!

It's really all about how one really wants to vacation. If you're happy in the value resorts then, no, I don't think you're going to want to shell out the cash, and it's a big chunk of cash!

There was mention above that you couldn't pass it on to heirs, but you actually can. While Disney does have first right of refusal on any subsequent
    selling of your points, they are extremely lenient when it comes to passing it to family members.

You might want to rent points from a DVC member for your next stay. Be aware that to REALLY get the thrill of DVC you do need to stay in a one- or two-bedroom unit. The studios, while a bit larger than a regular hotel room, really don't cut it, IMO. We're only 2 and I'm not staying in a studio (unless, of course, it's for those nights at the GCV when they open. Then it really will be a place to put my head). A rental will go about $10 - $14 per point and you will save some money.

All in all, you need to be comfy with what you can do financially. NEVER feel forced to do it. You'll never be happy with that.

Have fun!
    Michael
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

We did it!!! We finally did enough number crunching to make it happen. It will definitely take some sacrifices (no more recreational shopping for me ) but it'll be worth it! We bought into AKV - took us a long time to decide where, but with both of our backgrounds being in animal care, we have more of an emotional attraction to AKV. Now we wait for all of the paperwork to arrive!!! Thanks for all the advice everybody!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by zoodoyle View Post
    We did it!!! We finally did enough number crunching to make it happen. It will definitely take some sacrifices (no more recreational shopping for me ) but it'll be worth it! We bought into AKV - took us a long time to decide where, but with both of our backgrounds being in animal care, we have more of an emotional attraction to AKV. Now we wait for all of the paperwork to arrive!!! Thanks for all the advice everybody!!
    Congrats!
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

It will be the best thing!!!! DVC is one of my favorite purchases ever...now if I could have only gotten SR credit for it!!!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by ligrumpygirl View Post
    It will be the best thing!!!! DVC is one of my favorite purchases ever...now if I could have only gotten SR credit for it!!!
    Oooooohhhh - that would have been fantastic!!!! I'm just happy to hear I can use gift cards to pay for it
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

Congratulations!!! Just think of all the fun you are going to have!! May I be the first to say "Welcome Home!!"
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
    Congratulations!!! Just think of all the fun you are going to have!! May I be the first to say "Welcome Home!!"
    Thank you!! I'm sooo excited we get to make our reservation today!! We were planning on staying in ASMo next August, but now we'll be in the AKV!! Of course, it hurt a bit when I checked my credit card online and saw the down payment/closing costs on there Just cashed out on here to put it towards dvc - better get my butt in gear and make some more money!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

WELCOME HOME!
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES