Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disney 1st-timers kit

FYI on the customized maps...they print the family name on it, and they get the family name from the name they are sending it to.

So if you send it to yourself, and put it in your name, it's going to say "to the MKCP84 family" all over it. If your postal carrier is a kind and understanding soul, you might want to put the family's last name on there.

How am I so aware of this? Because neither DH or I took each other's names after we got married, and DS is hyphenated. So there are 3 last names in our family. I am the one on all the Disney accounts, so when our maps arrived they were all in my last name only...now it's not like we totally mind that...we chose to have these last names and choose not to be overly annoyed, but still, it's not quite as welcoming to DH and DS. And they don't *tell* you as you're going through the process that your name will be used on the maps, so there's no way to help them out with this.

Anyway, if you're making them and sending them to yourself, be aware about the last name.

Now IMO what's even MORE fun (b/c the customized maps are more for planning, not for taking) is if you could get your hands on some actual park maps. On the Disneyland forum of a disney site we often have threads where people have snagged some extra maps and will send them out for no cost...I've actually swapped with a WDW visitor, and it's very very fun to hvae actual park maps ahead of time! So if you, or someone you know, has some park maps that you can part with, that's lots of fun as well. Something to look at ahead of time and can take with you...
    Sunshine Rewards

"The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" is the BEST resource I have seen for a first-timer. It gives such an unbiased, factual account of everything to see, eat or do at WDW. I'd get them a copy to read in the car or on the plane. Whenever I need a Disney fix, I bust out one of mine. I've got one every year since 2000 and it is neat to see how things have changed.

This thread inspired me to create a first timer kit for our new sister-in-law who we'll be taking to WDW in late-Jan next year. I'm taking notes from everyone's great suggestions!

Since we're DVC and don't get luggage tags, I think I am going to buy some on ebay for her and my brother-in-law because I doubt he kept his from his last trip five years ago.

I'm all excited about making this, but I'm not going to give it to them until Christmas (not as a present, just cause I know we'll all be together ). All I can think is, "I'm too excited to sleep!" So I'll just say, I'm too excited to wait several months to put this together!

I was goint to suggest Moleskin, but I see you already mentioned it.

a nightlight, hanging shoe bag organizer, sanitizing wipes to wipe down the remote and phone.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have made a list and now need to do a little shopping. Just thought I would share what I made for Disney tips - I put together a slideshow (from the Smilebox banner that was on here) using pictures from our previous trips with tips that we have found useful except I might have told a little "white lie" when I told them about Club Cool, I told them Beverly was our favorite. I think everyone needs to have that joke pulled on them.

Quote Originally Posted by MKCP84 View Post
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have made a list and now need to do a little shopping. Just thought I would share what I made for Disney tips - I put together a slideshow (from the Smilebox banner that was on here) using pictures from our previous trips with tips that we have found useful except I might have told a little "white lie" when I told them about Club Cool, I told them Beverly was our favorite. I think everyone needs to have that joke pulled on them.
    Okay, I'll bite, wth is club cool and who is beverly?

Now are these folks you know from where you live and are heading to DL? or do you live near DL and they are coming near you? Just wondering if they will be taking things with them on a plane/car/bus or they'll be arriving here and won't have time to read much.
    You gave me the idea to start my own thread of what to bring for my family's first trip!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

Quote Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
    Okay, I'll bite, wth is club cool and who is beverly?

Now are these folks you know from where you live and are heading to DL? or do you live near DL and they are coming near you? Just wondering if they will be taking things with them on a plane/car/bus or they'll be arriving here and won't have time to read much.
    You gave me the idea to start my own thread of what to bring for my family's first trip!
    Club Cool is a place in Epcot Future World where you can try different sodas from around the world. So far as Beverly, I don't want to ruin it for you so I'll let you find that out yourself when you go there.

Our friends live near us and are going to WDW for the 1st time by plane. They are staying at the Beach Club and then switching to BLT to stay with us when we arrive at the end of the week for Night of Joy. I've been helping them plan their trip and just wanted to give them a little package here in the next few weeks to add to their excitement. Although, I think we're just as excited as they are that they'll be joining us.

Now I guess I've got to go to Walgreens and try to get some of those Disney Silly Banz or whatever they're called for their DDs and I think my package will be complete.

got it! although I don't drink soda, so I guess beverly will remain a mystery!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Heather
    Dreaming of our next trip......Nov 3-13, 2012!!

Our friends just got back last night from their trip that I made the kit for. First, they were staying at the Beach Club standard view and were upgraded to concierge, boy were they ever surprised. On Tuesday, I knew they were eating at CRT and what time they had their reservation for so I ordered the Cinderella Slipper Dessert for their two DDs and had written in chocolate "Have a magical day" and then their names. Our friends again were so surprised that their DDs received this as no one else there at the time did. I never told her I ordered it for them as I wanted their magic to keep on going.

We flew down on Thursday to join them for the weekend NOJ concerts and had a great time at the parks. We couldn't believe there were no wait times to speak of except TSM. Even TOT was only a 5 minute wait on Saturday.

So far as their kit, they brought it all with them and used most of the items. Thanks for all of the great ideas.

Wow, an upgrade is great, and adding your own magic was so nice and thoughtful! I love hearing about how normal people help make magic, whether it's for strangers or friends!