Thread: The Real Scoop on PIN Codes and Discounts

Default The Real Scoop on PIN Codes and Discounts

I just posted an entry on our blog discussing Disney discounts - primarily PIN codes.

There have been some postings on another internet forum (which shall remain nameless...) implying that people called and asked that the Reservationists apply "secret" code to their reservations, which got them Free Dining or other discounts.

Not entirely true. While they may have ended up with a discount, it's not because they knew a secret code or because they sweet talked the Cast Member into applying it for them. It was because they had a PIN associated with their name that they didn't know about.

To anyone who plans to visit Walt Disney World in the future (and I'm guessing that's anyone who bothers to click on this thread), I invite you to take a few minutes to read my blog entry. I explain the logic (or lack thereof) behind PIN code distribution, how they work, what the rules are, and how to increase your chances of getting one (no guarantees).

Mouse Unlimited - The Ultimate Disney Travel Agency
    Mouse Unlimited | MU Forum | MU Blog | MU Twitter | MU Facebook

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

I will agree with the statement you made in the blog... book a room. DH was laid off for over a year and we didn't make our normal December trip. He has stated his own business and things look good.. so I booked a trip and as soon as I did...about 3 weeks later I got a PIN code in the mail. It was on a flyer that looked like junk mail. Sorry to say that the dates wouldn't work for us on the code but I was still excited to get one.
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for the post. I love Disney and am excited to be able to take my first trip. When booking, I hoped for some sort of discount (as we all do) because all of the prior years there were all sorts of discounts such as free dining or kids stay, play and dine free. I booked my trip hoping to receive a great discount. So I read alot on how to get these mysterious pins and did everything noted, but never received anything. But this did not stop me from taking my trip. What I have told everybody is that these PINS/discounts are not a guarantee, just plan to pay the price you see when booking your vacation and if something better comes along, it just makes it that much sweeter.

It took about a year before I got a prized pin code and as one of the PP said the dates never seem to work for my either but I am happy to still receive one when I do.

Thanks for the info on PIN codes. I sort of suspected they were completely random since no once can make hide nor hair out of them. I've personally never gotten one, by DGF got one about two years after her Disney Cruise. She didn't know what it was so she showed it to me. We looked it up but is was a room only discount (I think) that didn't seem too impressive, at least it didn't seem any bettter than the AP discounts that I can get already.