Thread: Digital Camera for 8 year old?

Default Digital Camera for 8 year old?

I'm in the market for a digital camera for my daughter's 8th birthday. We got her and her sister the cheapo-ones on the Disney site for Christmas - that peaked her interest in taking pictures, but has been a constant source of frustration to her because it's so cheap!! What you line up in the viewfinder is not what ends up in the picture, it has no flash, the quality is REALLY grainy......just junk basically. We had talked about it, and she's very interested in getting a more decent camera, so that will be her main birthday present. Does anyone have any experience with digital cameras for kids?! I know they have the ones for littler kids that are supposed to be good and durable, but she's too old for those I think. Any advice would be great

ETA: The ones they have are Disney's pix micro digital cameras - I see that disney has another one that's a bit more expensive, but I don't know if that would be any better?!
    Last edited by zoodoyle; 03-18-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I would just start with a cheaper name brand one. Something like a Canon that is 4 or 5 megapixel should be cheap because they are up to 8 or 9 megapixel cameras now. They have different models like the elph which is flat and would fit an adult pocket pretty easily or the larger powershots which have a little lip on the front which helps you grip the camera better. That might be the way to go.

BTW I did get my dad a Canon camera from Circuit City for Christmas 2006 and it was only $120 so it would be a good place to check.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Or I would recommend a Kodak point and shoot. Kodak's lower end models are really good cameras and very user friendly to take a picture that your 8 yr old would be happy with. DS is the same way. He wanted one, for xmas he got one (from Radio shack, Spiderman $20) but it sounds just like the one's your talking about. For now he's happy using my $700 Sony when we're on vacation with me standing OVER TOP of him. He would want one of his own and that's where I would start with him, but I think him personally (maturity wise, taking care of it etc) would be another year before I purchase one for him. He's still ALL BOY and I really don't think it would be beneficial financially for us to get him one right now.
    Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

I bought a basic Canon for my granddaughter when she was almost 7 and she does great with it. I thinking it is 5 mega pixels and was under $200, if memory serves me right. Canon makes a pretty easy camera, but I think there are other brands that might be good, too.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

This is what I am going to do. I was cashing out for circuit city GC at netwinner when they let us and will buy a cheaper adult digital for my kids at Christmas for DISNEY. I did not want to buy a cheap kids one and I don't want to spend money on disposables again when I could just spend about 90 on a cheap one on black friday.

I just want to buy one that uses the same memory cards as mine so we can share. Wouldn't mind it having the same sort of battery as well but we'll see.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Kodak also makes some middle of the road, 7 pixels ones that are cheap. I'm am horrible at photography, and if I can use them, and download them to the computer, an 8 year old can. I got mine at Office Depot Kodak® EasyShare C713 7.0-Megapixel Zoom Digital Camera and we have a 10.00 off coupon. I'd certainly check this out.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

I bought both of my girls cameras thru the Kodak link and got the cheapest digital they sold in the outlet section. They were like $63 each and you get credit going thru SR. Then, I ordered 2gb memory sticks when Staples was having a great sale. Today, I ordered rechargeable batteries at Drugstore.com. They are both set for Disney World. DD10 hasn't done alot with hers but DD12 is having a ball. The cameras are 5 megapixels.

I also bought myself a new one at Sony, got $50 off for buying out of the outlet plus the SR credit. I got a 4gb card. I am ready for some serious photography. Actually, I wanted a larger memory stick for shooting short videos. I don't want to lug my video camera along with me. Mine is 8mm, I want a digital one but that will have to wait.

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Tigerdirect (sr merchant, I've used several times really good!) has a limited I think one day sale right now... Kodak 6.2 megapixels 3x optical zoom (good for a younger person) 69.99 $10 off, it does end at midnight.

I remember a year a half ago when I was researching cameras, I did read a lot about the ease and sturdiness of Kodak's lower end point and shoot cameras. They work good take pretty good pictures etc. If I were to get one for DS this is probably the way I would go.

I love pictures, take them seriously (Just finished the yearbook for his school) so I went with the Sony Cybershot 8 mega pixels and 12 optical zoom. At the time almost 2 yrs ago it was the best out there, now they have some even better! I told DH beware my next camera is going to be a digital SLR. My dad has an olmpyus and I just love the pics it takes.. (But we're talking twice what I paid for my sony! lol)

PS stay away from Fuji! THat was my first digital camera 8 yrs ago and while they are one of the best in print quality of pictures, they can't make cameras!
    Last edited by askomsky; 03-18-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: add something..
    Sunshine Rewards

We bought our son a Kodak when he was 7. I wanted something nice but not so expensive if something happened to it I would be upset. He takes better pictures than I do!! It has been a great camera. Definitely get the larger memory card and rechargable batteries. Diigital is the way to go. If they have decent Canon powershots within your price range they are excellent cameras and another way to go.
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards