If you have been here for awhile, you probably know that SR is a family-owned company. The only employees we have ever had have been family and friends. We're kind of an "open book" when it comes to our lives and personalities because we share so much on our blogs and Facebook pages.

I know we haven't taken a public stance on the recent racially-charged events in our country, and in talking to friends in our industry I have come to understand that not saying anything at all is saying something. It didn't feel right to all of a sudden post about protests right after posting about Disney t-shirts. So we just pulled back on posting much on Facebook at all the last two weeks.

In case there is any doubt at all, our house is a #BlackLivesMatter house. At the same time, I have friends who are or who have been police officers. I'm not quiet about my politics on my Twitter account, but I do try to keep them out of Sunshine Rewards. However, racism isn't a "political" issue, it's a social issue. So I have no problem making it very clear that I do not condone police brutality, and I do support peaceful protests. Violent protests? That's a complicated subject and one I feel conflict over every day.

While I don't plan on using Sunshine Rewards as a platform for my personal beliefs, I do want to make it clear where our hearts and minds are lest anyone think our silence indicates a desire for racial status quo. We don't have to agree on politics to agree that our country has a lot of work to do.